Problems with SUMIF function and Wildcards (* and ?)

  1. #1

    Problems with SUMIF function and Wildcards (* and ?)

    Hey

    I have a hard time getting this to work.

    I wanted to make a sum of different accounts taking only the 2 first account numbers. Using a formula like this one.

    SUMIF(A8:A179;"14*";G8:G179), For all the accounts in the range beginning with 14.

    But in stead of looking for the * as a wildcard it actually looks for 14* (and I didnt type ~*); thus naturally giving me a sum of 0.

    The strange thing is that on another file I received from a colleague it works perfectly on the collumns he created, but not on the new columns I created in his file.

    I have tried copying his formating but it didnt change anything.

    I am currently using Windows 2003, in english on a french computer.

    Thanks in advance

    Joachim

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Problems with SUMIF function and Wildcards (* and ?)

    Could it be that they are actually numbers not text? Try

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A8:A179,2)="14"),G8:G179)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks great that really helped, once I changed the formating of your formula a bit apparently on my version , has to be replaced by ;

    Thanks again

    Joachom

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Problems with SUMIF function and Wildcards (* and ?)

    OK, you have a continental version of Excel. If you post again, mention
    that, we might give a more correct formula :-)

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Problems with SUMIF function and Wildcards (* and ?)

    or we (I) could learn to look more carefully at the formula given :-(

    Bob

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips

  7. #7