Compare 2 columns to see differences

  1. #1
    Bugaglugs
    Guest

    Compare 2 columns to see differences

    I've got a list of all the sales accounts that our company deals with in
    column A and all the ones that have been dealt with by my team in column B -
    I want to see which ones from 'A' haven't been seen by my team (i.e.
    potential new opportunities).

    Is there an easy way to do this?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Compare 2 columns to see differences

    Take a look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther

  3. #3
    Bugaglugs
    Guest

    Re: Compare 2 columns to see differences

    Thanks very much for responding so promptly - I think that I must be doing
    something wrong as this doesn't appear to be working, or at least giving me
    any answer......

    Say for example this is what I have;
    Column A(i.e. all the accounts my company manages)
    Tesco
    Sainsbury
    Asda
    Morrisons

    And in column B (accounts my team has dealt with)
    Tesco
    Morrisons

    I want Column C to show, or at least indicate that we should also try to see
    Sainsbury and Asda

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    if your master list in is A1:A100
    and your dealt with list is in B1 downwards

    in C1
    =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,B1)>0,"dealt with","to see")

    Drag this down for all the data in column A.

    This may look messy because the "dealt with" and "to see" in column C will be for column A values. If you can, insert a column between A and B and then put this in B1

    =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,C1)>0,"dealt with","to see")

    drag down for all values in column A and now the response lines up with the data in column A.

    When you say it doesn't work, if this doesn't come back and tell us what you are getting.

    HTH.
    Greg.

    "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

  5. #5
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Compare 2 columns to see differences

    Hi,

    Assuming the names in column A are in range A3:A5 and in column B in range
    B3:B5. In cell C3, array enter the following formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =IF(OR(EXACT(A3,$B$3:$B$5)),"","Potential")

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur