Count names-how many times a specific name appears

  1. #1
    Farrel
    Guest

    Count names-how many times a specific name appears

    I'm trying to count how many times a specific name appears on a date range
    I have column "A" with Names and column "B" with Dates
    For example I want to know how many "Joe" I have on May/05
    Txs

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    re: Count names-how many times a specific name appears

    Hi Farrel,

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="Joe")*(MONTH(B1:B10)=5)*(YEAR(B1:B10)=2005))

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: Count names-how many times a specific name appears

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Joe"),--(B2:B100=--"2005-005-05"))

    RP

  4. #4
    Donna in Elkin, NC
    Guest

    re: Count names-how many times a specific name appears

    One suggestion is to use "autofilter" and then you can sort by "Joe" and use
    the "or" sort and enter "May 05". This would pull up all records meeting
    those two criteria then you could use the "count" feature at the bottom to
    count the number of records. This may not be the most expedient but if you
    have a lot of records it will work.

  5. #5
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    re: Count names-how many times a specific name appears

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$100=E2),--($B$2:$B$100-DAY($B$2:$B$100)+1=F2))

    where E2 houses a name like Joe and F2 the first day date of a
    month/year interest like 1-May-05.

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.