SUM every other 14th cell

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey

    Arrow SUM every other 14th cell

    Is there a worksheet function that sums a given range, but every other 14th cell?
    Example:
    A1=4
    A15=2
    A29=4

    Answer would obviously be: 10

    I want the function to only add every other 14th cell. I assume it would be something like this:

    =SUM(range,step) or something like that

    I have a LOT of values to add (example:A1:A1500) and it would be a LOOOOONG line of code to add to type them all in manually. And if i wanted to add maybe 20 more of these cells (280 total cells) it would be MUCH easier to change the range in the function instead of manually entering in each specific cell.
    *There is no specific criteria either, just numbers.

    So any ideas would be great. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Try...

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(A1:A1500)-ROW(A1),14)=0),A1:A1500)

    Hope this helps!

    Quote Originally Posted by malik641

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: SUM every other 14th cell

    =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A500,--(MOD(ROW(A1:A500),14)=1))

  4. #4
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: SUM every other 14th cell

    Malik641, try something like this,

    =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(A1:A1500)-CELL("Row",A1:A1500)+0,14)=0)*(A1:A1500))
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    "malik641" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Thanks everyone!!! They all work great

    I have another question (REALLY simple)...I never understood why there are the double dashes (or two minus signs, whatever you want to call it) before certain functions (in this case, before the MOD function).
    Why is that????

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: SUM every other 14th cell

    Check out this links of John McGimpsey:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Good stuff. Thanks RD!

  8. #8
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: SUM every other 14th cell

    I'm sure John appreciates your appreciation!<g>

    RD

  9. #9
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: SUM every other 14th cell

    Hi,

    Please find herein another solution. Assuming your range of data is in
    A1:A30 (1 to 30). In cell A32, enter the following array formula
    (Ctrl+Shift+Enter).

    =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(A1:A30),14)=0,A1:A30))

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur

  10. #10
    Paul B

  11. #11
    Ashish Mathur

  13. #13
    RagDyer

  14. #14
    Duke Carey

  16. #16
    Ashish Mathur

  17. #17
    RagDyer

  18. #18
    Paul B

  19. #19
    Duke Carey

  20. #20
    Ashish Mathur

  21. #21
    Paul B

  22. #22
    Duke Carey

  24. #24
    RagDyer

  25. #25
    RagDyer

  26. #26
    Duke Carey

  28. #28
    Ashish Mathur

  29. #29
    Paul B

  30. #30
    RagDyer

  31. #31
    Duke Carey

  33. #33
    Paul B

  34. #34
    Ashish Mathur

  36. #36
    RagDyer

  37. #37
    Duke Carey

  38. #38
    Paul B

  39. #39
    Ashish Mathur

  40. #40
    Paul B

  41. #41
    Duke Carey

  42. #42
    RagDyer

  44. #44
    Ashish Mathur

  45. #45
    Ashish Mathur

  47. #47
    RagDyer

  48. #48
    Duke Carey

  49. #49
    Paul B

  51. #51
    RagDyer

  52. #52
    Duke Carey

  53. #53
    Ashish Mathur

  54. #54
    Paul B

  55. #55
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Has anyone noticed that this thread has been repeating itself????
    -Joseph

  56. #56
    RagDyer

  57. #57