Conditional format with a formula

  1. #1
    Mike Echo
    Guest

    Conditional format with a formula

    I have done this before but for the life of me cannot remember how I did
    it.

    Assume I have a column of dates. I want that column to be conditionally
    formatted so that today's date will be red for example. I enter

    =NOW()=1

    in the formula for the conditional format but she no go. I tried TODAY
    (), etc too.

    Any ideas?

    TIA,
    R.

  2. #2
    Rod (Brazil)
    Guest

    RE: Conditional format with a formula

    Mike tria only =now()

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Conditional format with a formula

    Hi!

    Try this.....

    Assume dates are in the range A1:A10

    Select the range A1:A10
    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: =A1=TODAY()
    Click the Format button and select the style you'd like
    OK out

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mike Echo
    Guest

    RE: Conditional format with a formula

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Mike tria only =now()

    > > Assume I have a column of dates. I want that column to be conditionally
    > > formatted so that today's date will be red for example. I enter
    > >
    > > =NOW()=1
    > >
    > > in the formula for the conditional format but she no go. I tried TODAY
    > > (), etc too.

    It didn't work. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond anyway.

    R.

  5. #5
    Mike Echo
    Guest

    Re: Conditional format with a formula

    In article <#[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Assume dates are in the range A1:A10
    >
    > Select the range A1:A10
    > Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    > Formula is: =A1=TODAY()
    > Click the Format button and select the style you'd like
    > OK out

    > > Assume I have a column of dates. I want that column to be conditionally
    > > formatted so that today's date will be red for example. I enter
    > >
    > > =NOW()=1
    > >
    > > in the formula for the conditional format but she no go. I tried TODAY
    > > (), etc too.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    Yep, it works. Thanks, Biff!

    Anyone care to enlighten me why it works? I don't understand why the
    reference to A1 when the whole range is subject to the format.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Conditional format with a formula

    Mike,

    Don't know why you are comparing the date to 1 but you are correct it
    realising you need to force a True/False result. In this instance, you need
    to determine whether the cell has today's date it in, so select all of the
    cells, starting at A1 say, and use a formula of

    =A1=TODAY()

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Mike Echo
    Guest

    Re: Conditional format with a formula

    says...

    > Yep, it works. Thanks, Biff!
    >
    > Anyone care to enlighten me why it works? I don't understand why the
    > reference to A1 when the whole range is subject to the format.

    Never mind. Looked at the format for various cells within the range and
    see how it works now. Thanks to all those who replied (you too Bob!) :-)