Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

  1. #1

    Question Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    I have a spreadsheet that I want to highlight cell values that are whole or real numbers - not decimals. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out the best way to do this. At this point, I really don't care if they are highlighted or what, as long as the whole numbers stand out somehow. The cells themselves contain a formula (i.e., B$1/A2) So, if this formula results in a whole number (i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4 etc...) not a decimal (i.e., 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc...) then I want it to stand out.

    I even tried nesting an "IF" function so that anything containing a decimal would show the word "NO" instead of the value, but I couldn't get it to work. Here's the formula I was trying, maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong with it.

    =IF(PRODUCT(B$1/A2),"*.*","NO",PRODUCT(B$1/A2))
    I get an error that I'm using too many arguements.

    Please help! Thank you in advance.
    ExcelGuruDummy

  2. #2
    try using the TRUNC function in your conditional formatting :

    conditional formatting set to "Formula is" - enter

    [COLOR=Blue=IF(TRUNC(A1)-A1=0,TRUE,FALSE)[/COLOR] in the condition.

    This returns FALSE if G7 is not an integer.

    (not sure about your reference to Real Numbers (i.e. as opposed to imaginary numbers))

    Could also use INT in the same way if you prefer

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    Hi!

    Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: A1-INT(A1)=0

    If the values will always be greater than or equal to 1, you could use:

    =MOD(A1,1)=0

    Biff

    "excelgurudummy"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    Hi,

    Lets say the first cell in your range is A1, hightlight the entire
    range, then go to Format-conditional formatting and choose 'cell value'
    and choose 'greater than' and enter this formula

    =INT(A1)

    and choose the format you need.

    INT(A1) roundsdown the value of the cell to a whole number. If there is
    a decimal, then the value in the cell would be greater than the Integer
    value of the cell and hence this formula will highlight the numbers with
    decimals.

    Govind.

  5. #5
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    Hi,

    Sorry. since you want to highlight the whole numbers, you should choose

    'cell value' and choose 'equal to' and enter this formula

    =INT(A1)
    in conditional formatting.

    Govind.

  6. #6

    Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    Thank you SO much! This is awesome. You have no idea how long I've been trying to make this work. I did not realize you could put a formula in conditional formatting (duh!) You guys are all so smart!!

    Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting on Whole Numbers?

    Hi,

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Govind.

  8. #8