Question on Vlookup

  1. #1

    Question on Vlookup

    I am setting up a Quality check worksheet.
    I have one sheet each for every supplier . These sheets contain article number for each product they supply and respective dimensions and other detials of each product.
    On the Quality check sheet i have article number, name of supplier and all the detials i need for the article number i select.
    for each detail i am using a vlookup function, where it looks up detail for the article number i have chosen.
    I have named ranges for each supplier sheet by the name of the supplier.

    I want to set up the quality sheet in such a way that once i select teh supplier name in this sheet, all the vlookup funtions in this sheet will take data from the sheet of the supplier name i selected. Hence if i had to add new suppliers later, it is included automatically.

    I have name the ranges for each supplier sheet by the name of supplier, so i was wondering how can vlookup take up range names automaticaly with respect to the supplier name i select in the quality sheet.

    If this does not work, can it be done in some other way.

    thanks for all help,

    dharmik

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Question on Vlookup

    Assuming your supplier's range name is in cell B9 and the article # is in A9

    =VLOOKUP(A9,INDIRECT(B9),2,FALSE)

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Question on Vlookup

    you could use an indirect formula where e4 has the sheet name
    =VLOOKUP(2,INDIRECT(E4&"!$H$1:$I$4"),2)
    then you could use a worksheet_selection event to make e4 become the
    selection.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  4. #4

    Thank you

    I thank
    Don and Duke for answering my question and helping me get solution to my problem.
    Yes Indirect function is the answer to my problem. and i got my stuff done.

    Once again thank you for your quick response.

    Dharmik

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Question on Vlookup

    glad to help. Isn't it better when you do most of it yourself?

  6. #6
    Duke Carey

  7. #7
    Don Guillett