Using VBA to insert Columns

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Using VBA to insert Columns

    Hi All
    I use the code below to import data from a database.
    However, once the data is in place I need to add a new column after column B
    , and another column after columns H.
    I have tried a number of times myself, but every time I attempt to run the
    new Macro it puts the columns in the wrong places.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Public Sub DoIt()

    Sheet1.Activate
    Sheet1.Rows("11:5000").Select
    Selection.ClearContents
    Sheet1.Range("A5").Select

    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim recSet As DAO.Recordset
    Dim intRow As Integer
    Dim strFilter As String

    If Sheet1.Range("B5") <> "" And Sheet1.Range("B6") <> "" Then
    strFilter = "WHERE [Accomplishment Date] >= #" &
    Sheet1.Range("B5").Text & "# AND [Accomplishment Date] <= #" &
    Sheet1.Range("B6").Text & "#"
    End If

    strSQL = "SELECT Accomplishment.[Cost Centre] as [Cost Centre
    Number], Accomplishment.[Shift Code] as [Rate Code], Accomplishment.WBS as
    [WBS Element], Sum([Work Team Size]*[Time Worked]) AS [Total Hours] "
    strSQL = strSQL & "FROM Accomplishment "
    strSQL = strSQL & " " & strFilter
    strSQL = strSQL & "GROUP BY Accomplishment.WBS, Accomplishment.[Cost
    Centre], Accomplishment.[Shift Code]"

    Set recSet = GetDBValue(strSQL)

    ' Dim col As Field
    ' For Each col In recSet.Fields
    ' Sheet1.Range(Chr(col.OrdinalPosition + 65) & 10) = col.Name
    ' Next

    intRow = 11
    While Not recSet.EOF
    For Each col In recSet.Fields
    Sheet1.Range(Chr(col.OrdinalPosition + 65) & intRow) =
    recSet(col.Name) & ""
    Next

    recSet.MoveNext
    intRow = intRow + 1
    Wend

    strSQL = "SELECT Accomplishment.[Cost Centre] as [Cost Centre
    Number], Accomplishment.[Shift Code] as [Rate Code], Accomplishment.WBS as
    [WBS Element], Sum([Work Team Size B]*[Time Worked]) AS [Total Hours] "
    strSQL = strSQL & "FROM Accomplishment "
    strSQL = strSQL & " " & strFilter
    strSQL = strSQL & "GROUP BY Accomplishment.WBS, Accomplishment.[Cost
    Centre], Accomplishment.[Shift Code]"

    Set recSet = GetDBValue(strSQL)

    ' For Each col In recSet.Fields
    ' Sheet1.Range(Chr(col.OrdinalPosition + 71) & 10) = col.Name
    ' Next

    intRow = 11
    While Not recSet.EOF
    For Each col In recSet.Fields
    Sheet1.Range(Chr(col.OrdinalPosition + 71) & intRow) =
    recSet(col.Name) & ""
    Next

    recSet.MoveNext
    intRow = intRow + 1
    Wend
    Columns("C:C").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Columns("J:J").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Range("C10").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Receiver CC"
    Range("J10").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Receiver CC"

    End Sub

    Regards
    Michael

    --
    Michael Mitchelson

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Hi Michael,

    You aren't forgetting that each time you insert a column the data on the
    right side of it move further to the right, are you? Also to remind you that
    it is not necessary to select objects to perform most of the operations on
    them.

    Try these instructions at the end of your code (after Wend line)

    Range("C:C,I:I").Insert Shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("C10,J10") = "Receiver CC"

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    ....also I guess the first 4 instructions of your code can be reduced to one:

    Sheet1.Rows("11:5000").ClearContents

    Regards,
    KL

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Why not just

    Range("C:C").Insert Shift:=xlToLeft

    And if he really means two coilumns, best to do it sepoarately, last first

    Range("H:H").Insert Shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("C:C").Insert Shift:=xlToLeft

    RP

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Hi Bob,

    I think the OP really means 2 columns :-))
    Anyway, the instruction Range("C:C,I:I").Insert Shift:=xlToLeft was aimed at
    saving space, but I guess you are right: it is much "user-friendlier" to
    insert columns/rows starting from the last one, e.g for multiple columns:

    col=Array("C","I","M","Z")
    for i=UBound(col) To LBound(col) Step -1
    Range(col(i) & ":" & col(i)).Insert Shift:=xlToLeft
    Next i

    Regards,
    KL

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Problem is KL, if you have many columns, trying to work out the correct
    value for each <vbg>. Does my head in. KISS is a good maxim.

    Bob

    "

  7. #7
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Yup. I do agree with that :-)

    KL

    news:ea%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Gentlemen
    Thank you both for your input. Your suggestions have worked perfectly. As
    you have probably worked out, it was not my code, but incomplete code done by
    others.
    I have tried every way known to man, to get VBA to stay in my head, but
    while I have a pretty handy knowledge of Excel and contribute to this
    newsgroup frequently, VBA eludes me.
    Anyway, thanks again for your time and effort.

    Regards
    Michael
    --
    Michael Mitchelson

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using VBA to insert Columns

    Hi Michael,

    Didn't notice it was you. Although you signature carries your surname, you
    NG handle doesn't. As I have said before, it is good to help a helper <G>

    Regards

    Bob

    =