Some formula results will not show up in the cell

  1. #1
    Space Elf
    Guest

    Some formula results will not show up in the cell

    Sometimes when I build a nested formula, the results don't show in the
    cell. The only thing that shows is representative how the cell is formated,
    ie: number format with 2 decimal points displays "0.00"

    When I click on the cell with the formula, it appears in the input box. If
    I click the equal sign, the drop-down menu shows the correct results, even if
    I change the data it uses to determine the answer.

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A12="Hours",C1:C12))

    This is the formula. I intend to extend the range from 12 to about 90 when
    it works.

    Basically, what I want is to check for the word "Hours" from column A and
    if it finds it, average the data from the corresponcing column C.

    Since "Hours" is every 4th line, I was looking for a "step" function
    simular to the one used in BASIC.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Some formula results will not show up in the cell

    Hi!

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A12="Hours",C1:C12))

    This is an array formula. Instead of just typing in the formula and then
    hitting the ENTER key you must use the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER.

    Try this:

    Select the cell this formula is in.

    Now, goto the formula bar and place the cursor at the end of the formula.

    Hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys then hit ENTER.

    When done properly Excel will place squiggly braces { } around the formula.
    You must use the key combo to do this. You cannot just type the braces in
    manually.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Space Elf
    Guest

    Re: Some formula results will not show up in the cell

    Thanks Biff! That did it!

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Some formula results will not show up in the cell

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...