Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

  1. #1

    Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Hello -
    My algebra days seem to be a little hazy today. Could someone please
    assist on the basic calculation to find the original number.

    example 1:
    This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. What would last years
    sales be?

    example 2:
    This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. What would last years
    sales be?

    Thanks for any insight on this calculation.
    Dan

  2. #2
    Manish Bajpai
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Dan, answers to your examples are as under:

    1. This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. Last years
    sales would be $4185.52.

    Formula : =3700/(100%-11.60%)

    2.This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. Last years
    sales would be $2980.13

    Formula : 4500/151%

    Thanks,

    Manish Bajpai

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    3700 = x * (1-.116), x=$4185.52
    4500 = x * (1+1.51), x=$1792.83

    --
    David Billigmeier

  4. #4
    Dan
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Thanks, this is great!

    Formula : =3700/(100%-11.60%)
    Formula : 4500/151%

    Is there one general formula to use for both scenerios, so I wouldn't
    have to differentiate between positive and negative changes?

  5. #5
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    The answer for #2 is wrong, you forgot to add a 1 to the 151%. The formula is:
    4500/2.51

    --
    David Billigmeier

  6. #6
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Ya, in your case you can use the formula:

    <Current Year Sales> = <Last Years Sales> * (1+<percentage change>)

    With variables located within <>. Just solve for any variable you are
    trying to find given you know the other 2. Note that if you have a decrease
    in percentage you use a negative number for <percentage change>

    --
    David Billigmeier

  7. #7
    Manish Bajpai
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    David,

    Dan's response proves that I was right in dividing 4500/151%. Dan was
    looking for 151% increase and not 251% increase.

    Dan,

    It is my pleasure.

    Why do you worry for future, when we guys are here to help you out.

    Manish Bajpai

  8. #8
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Manish:
    151% increase DOES NOT mean multiplying a number by 1.51, it means
    multiplying by 2.51. Check it for yourself:

    Take a simple example: 150% increase from 2 means doubling 2 one time and
    then adding another 50%... obtaining 2+2+1=5. My answer would provide the
    right answer, or 2*(150%+1)=2*(1.5+1)=2*2.5=5. Your answer would only yield
    3.

    Look at the formula you gave for #1, 3700/(100%-11.60%). You have to do the
    same thing for increases... you only had 4500/151%, you need
    4500/(100%+151%)=4500/(2.51)

    --
    David Billigmeier

  9. #9
    Dan
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Hmm, this "general" formula doesn't seem to work for the negative
    changes. Any other thoughts?

  10. #10
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Dan -
    It actually will work, just use like so:

    <Current Year Sales> = <Last Years Sales> * (1+<percentage change>)

    So in your example, you had current year sales of 3700 and a decrease of
    11.6%, so the formula would become (remember I said use a negative percentage
    for decreases):
    3700 = <Last Years Sales> * (1+(-.116))
    3700 = <Last Years Sales> * (1-.116)
    3700 = <Last Years Sales> * .884
    Last Years Sales = 3700/.884
    Last Years Sales = 4185.52

    If you are getting confused by Manish (when he says an increase in sales by
    151% means multiplying by 1.51), he is wrong... look:

    Once again use your information:

    4500 = <Last Years Sales> * (1 + 1.51)
    4500 = <Last Years Sales> * 2.51
    Last Years Sales = 4500/2.51
    Last Years Sales = 1792.83.

    Hope this helps,
    --
    David Billigmeier

  11. #11
    Dan
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Great...got it now! Thanks!! :o)

  12. #12
    Manish Bajpai
    Guest

    re: Calculate number based on percentage:My algebra days

    Dan,

    No point in memoraizing a formula.

    Simply understand the logic and you will never miss it:

    If last year's sales = X,

    Rate of increase or decrease = r%, and

    This Year's revenue = 1000.

    Then, 1000=X*(100%+r%) ===> note if r is to be mentioned with its symbol
    i.e.ngeative for a decrease and positive for increase.

    Therefore,

    X = 1000/(100% + r%)

    Please make sure while arrivng at r% that whether your this year's revenue
    is grown by 51% over last year or grown by 151% over last year. If it ilater
    case i.e. grown by 151% over last year then David is right.

    Thanks,

    Manish Bajpai

  13. #13
    Excel

    Excel algorythms

    does anyone know how to edit the algorythms?