Help for a newbie?

  1. #1

    Help for a newbie?

    This is probably easy but I haven't been able to figure it out

    Column A is a quantity, Column B is a price. I have Column A and B populated and want to make Column C to be the actual price paid (ie, column a*column b). Column A and column B, however, have about 2500 rows of information. Is there a way to have column C report the product of column A and column B without manually entering a1*b1 a2*b2 etc etc in column C for all 2500 rows?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ms. P.
    Guest

    RE: Help for a newbie?

    In Column C, input your formula +a1*b1. in column c1 right click and choose
    copy, then click in cell c2 and hold down the left mouse button and drag it
    down to your last row and then right click and choose paste. Or in cell c2
    put your pointer on the little square in the bottom right corner of the cell
    click an hold the mouse and drag to the last cell and release. It should
    copy your formula down for you.

  3. #3
    Ms. P.
    Guest

    RE: Help for a newbie?

    On the second part of the solution, I said to put you pointer in cell c2, but
    it should be in c1. Put your pointer in the little square until it turns to
    a "+", then drag it down.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Help for a newbie?

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A2500,B1:B2500)

    Multiplies column A by column B then sums the total.

    Biff

    "rehr0001" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thank you so much for your help Ms. P and Biff. Ms. P, your solution is exactly what I was looking for.

  6. #6
    Ms. P.

  7. #7
    Biff