departments Formatting Subtotals

  1. #1
    Dedrie
    Guest

    departments Formatting Subtotals

    I have a worksheet that has 102 departments. Is there anyway that when I
    subtotal by department I can have it automatically add color to that line.
    For example, could I have it bold and highlight in yellow all subtotalled
    lines? I'd also like to add formats around the subtotals such as double
    underlines.

    On a similar but different way of skinning the cat (I'm not even sure why
    you would skin a cat so don't call PETA on me!)...could I do some sort of
    macro that would insert a line before the subtotal and add some text to a
    specific column of the "subtotal" line and highlight it in a different color
    and double underline.

  2. #2

    re: departments Formatting Subtotals

    I think you have a couple of options.

    1. Use the outlining symbols on the left to show just the subtotal lines
    Select that range
    edit|goto|special|check visible cells only
    format those selected cells anyway you want.

    2. Use format|conditional formatting.
    Select your range
    (assuming that Total/Count/Average/etc is in column A.)
    format|conditional formatting
    formula is:
    =isnumber(search("total",$A1))
    (with A1 the activecell)
    (change to count/average depending on what function you used)

    Format|conditional formatting will allow you to add borders, fill color,
    and font color (and other stuff, too).

  3. #3
    Robert
    Guest

    re: departments Formatting Subtotals

    Dedrie, see my later posting under "Dedrie, Formatting Subtotals".
    --
    Robert