Cell reference

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Question Cell reference

    I am working with an excel file that has multiple sheets-different views for different people. However, there is one main sheet that pulls in data from the other sheets for a consolidated view

    My problem is when I create a cell reference, the format is displayed even when the cell referred to is blank. So for example, if I have a cell that is formatted to be a date, but does not have data in it yet, the corresponding cell on the main sheet shows 1/1/00. I want this cell to be just blank till the time I have real data entered--anyway of doing this??
    Please help!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    A couple of things you could do:

    A) Tools>Options|View tab uncheck "Zero values"

    B)Use an IF statement to show value only when reference cell is not zero, e.g.:

    =IF(SHEET1!A1=0,"",SHEET1!A1)

    HTH
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3

    Thanks!

    Bruce,

    Thanks for your helped--that worked!

  4. #4
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated.

    Cheers!

    Bruce

  5. #5
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Cell reference

    Example..
    =IF(LEN(Sheet2!B2)=0,"",Sheet2!B2)
    vs.
    =Sheet2!B2
    will only show a value if there is something in Sheet2, Cell B2.

    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com