Check if cell contains certain text-Is sumproduct or sum quicker

  1. #1
    jhockstr
    Guest

    Check if cell contains certain text-Is sumproduct or sum quicker

    Hi All,

    I'm looking for a function that can check to see if a cell contains
    specific text. For Example:

    I have many cell that contain some, all, or none of the following
    4-character text:
    |C180|, |D410|, |S531|, |T844|
    and I would like to know if, let's say D410, is contained in a certain
    cell. I will be checking for this in an array.

    I also have another quick question. Is sumproduct or sum(if(.....))
    quicker if they are both checking the same amount of criteria?

    Thank you in advance,

    Jason

    --
    jhockstr

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    re: Check if cell contains certain text-Is sumproduct or sum quicker

    Hi!

    =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("D410",A1))

    Will return TRUE if cell A1 contains the string D410. FALSE if it doesn't.

    > I also have another quick question. Is sumproduct or sum(if(.....))
    > quicker if they are both checking the same amount of criteria?

    If you only have a single criteria use SUMIF first.

    For multiple criteria use SUMPRODUCT first and usually, only if you have to,
    use SUM(IF.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Denmark
    and if the D140 or what ever is not the only thing in the feald as ex

    "d111 and d140"

    you could use a variation

    =ISNUMBER(FIND("d140";A3))

    by the way smart move with the "isnumber"