how can hide and show columns using macro?

  1. #1
    Hoshyar
    Guest

    how can hide and show columns using macro?

    I have a workbook of 10 columns. three columns 3,4 and five are hidden by
    default. I want to unhide these columuns when I write a defined letter (e.g.
    AB) in any cell in column one. Then I want to fill some information these
    columns, then after pressing enter I want these columns to be hidden again.
    is that possible with macro?

    many thanks in advance
    Hoshyar

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: how can hide and show columns using macro?

    Hashyar,

    Copy the code below, right-click the sheet tab of interest, select "View
    Code" and paste in the window that appears.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

    If Target.Column = 1 And Target.Value = "AB" Then
    Columns("C:E").EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    End If

    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C:E")) Is Nothing Then
    Columns("C:E").EntireColumn.Hidden = True

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hoshyar
    Guest

    Re: how can hide and show columns using macro?

    Hi Bernie,
    Many many thanks. it worked perfectly except for one thing. When columns C:E
    are open, I want them open until I move our from Column E. In other words,
    when I am in cloumn C and typing something then moving to Column D they are
    all hidden. What I want to acheive here is to have them open until I move to
    Column F.

    One more thing, the words "AB" is a code, and I have five other codes with
    which I want the same function. Do you think what I am trying to achieve is
    possible?

    Thanks once again for your help
    Hoshyar

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: how can hide and show columns using macro?

    Hashyar,

    Copy the 2 event codes below, right-click the sheet tab of interest,
    select "View Code" and paste in the window that appears.

    Note that the codes are case sensitive - you could change:
    InStr(1, "AB CD EF GH IJ KL MN", Target.Value) > 0 And _
    InStr(1, "AB CD EF GH IJ KL MN", UCase(Target.Value)) > 0 And _
    to be able to enter codes of any case.

    Also, as writtten, you must select a cell in column F or beyond to get
    C, D, and E to hide again.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column = 1 And _
    InStr(1, "AB CD EF GH IJ KL MN", Target.Value) > 0 And _
    Len(Target.Value) = 2 Then
    Columns("C:E").EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    Cells(Target.Row, 3).Select

    If Target.Column < 6 Then Exit Sub

  5. #5
    Hoshyar
    Guest

    Re: how can hide and show columns using macro?

    Hi Bernie,

    Thanks for your care, In fact I achieved what I was after. your inputs and
    Noramns inputs were of great help. I got exactly what I needed.

    Best regards
    Hoshyar