how to count occurence of numbers separated by , in a single cell

  1. #1
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: how to count occurence of numbers separated by , in a single cell

    "kish20" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Pls tell how I can count the occurence of particular number in list of
    >numbers separated by comma in single cell.I would further extend this
    >counting to the entire column.
    >
    >Eg the number in a first cell : 2,3,4,5
    > Second cell: 2,3,6
    > third cell : 3,5,7 . . .

    >Here the answer expected from excel programming is 2.

    =SUMPRODUCT(LEN(","&A1:A3&",")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(","&A1:A3&",",",2,",",,")))

  2. #2
    kish20
    Guest

    Re: how to count occurence of numbers separated by , in a single c

    Hi Harlan,

    Please suggest me a good book to learn excel functions and programming.

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: how to count occurence of numbers separated by , in a single c

    "kish20" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Please suggest me a good book to learn excel functions and programming.

    Re Functions: I have no idea. I've never read any. I used to read the
    spreadsheet columns in PC World, PC Magazine and Byte way back, and Lotus
    Magazine too, but that's now over a decade ago. I never bought a general
    book on spreadsheets (didn't have to, the manuals that came with Lotus
    Symphony, Lotus 123, VP-Planner and even Excel prior to Excel 97 were all
    very good, though the How To guide that came with Symphony was the best of
    all of them).

    Re Programming: maybe buy John Green's book or John Walkenbach's latest, but
    the best programming books aren't VBA programming books.

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove

  5. #5
    kish20

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove

  7. #7
    kish20
    Guest

    how to count occurence of numbers separated by , in a single cell

    Pls tell how I can count the occurence of particular number in list of
    numbers separated by comma in single cell.I would further extend this
    counting to the entire column.

    Eg the number in a first cell : 2,3,4,5
    Second cell: 2,3,6
    third cell : 3,5,7 and so on for more than
    two rows..
    I wish to count how many times number 2 appeared in the entire column of
    more than two rows.

    Here the answer expected from excel programming is 2.

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove

  9. #9
    kish20