How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

  1. #1
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    =SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A100) will total just the visible cells.
    Change range to suit.
    I always put my formulae in a row above the headings.

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier
    "huckie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    huckie
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    At one point I was able to see a number on the bottom of the page that would
    automatically calculate the number of lines in the filtered subset.
    So if there are 2000 lines of grocery items and I filter out chicken, I want
    to know immeidately how many lines of chicken there are out of the 2000 lines
    without physically counting rows........

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    Then it sounds as if you want COUNT instead of SUM
    Change the 9 to a 2
    =SUBTOTAL(2,A1:A100)

    1=AVERAGE, 2=COUNT, 3=COUNTA, 4=MAX, 5=MIN, 9=SUM
    These tend to be the only variants I use, but look up Help on Subtotal to
    see the complete list.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    huckie

    If you are not seeing a count of records on the status bar see Debra
    Dalgleish's site for reasons and workarounds.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlautofilter02.html#Count

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    huckie
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    THANK YOU...it works for me now!

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Gord

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben

  8. #8
    huckie

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben

  10. #10
    Roger Govier

  11. #11
    huckie

  13. #13
    Gord Dibben

  14. #14
    huckie

  15. #15
    Gord Dibben

  16. #16
    Roger Govier

  17. #17
    huckie

  19. #19
    huckie
    Guest

    How can I show the total sum of items in a filtered column