Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

  1. #1
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    No code necessary, Noel. Likely you can use a vlookup. See the link below.
    While you may not want an order form or invoice, you're wanting virtually
    the same thing.
    http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "Noel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to create a form that contains conditional drop down lists for
    > the user to selct from. i want the user to be able when theypick from a

    list
    > i created in cell D3 and when they choose that i want a list to be created

    in
    > cell E3 which contains data from a second worksheet. I was able to make it
    > work using nested if statements for validation but the problem is that it
    > wont let me go past 7 and i need to do about 50 of them. To make things
    > easier i defined names to reference all the data on the second worksheet.
    > This is what i used and it would work if i could do about 50 of them

    =IF(D3=K13,Roc,IF(D3=K14,Roc,IF(D3=K15,Camino,IF(D3=K16,Camino,IF(D3=K17,Adm
    in,IF(D3=K18,Arroyo,IF(D3=K19,Atascadero,IF(D3=K20,Grover))))))))
    > matching the cell D3 to data i used to create the list really just

    matching
    > itself to itself.
    > I know there has to be some simple VB code to make it work or some simple
    > solution, and i do have some experience using vb code but not in this kind

    of

  2. #2
    Noel
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    My problem with vlookup is from my understanding is that the data has to be
    in the same colum and the value that i am trying to return from the match is
    a range on another worksheet and from my understanding of vlookup it cant
    return a defined name

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    There are instructions here for creating dependent data validation lists:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    If you read the instructions at the link, Noel, it tells you how to use a
    named range for the lookup range. When you use a named range, it does NOT
    have to be on the same worksheet.

    *******************

  5. #5
    Noel
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    Thank you, that seems to be working great

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Trying to Create a Conditional Drop down list

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped.

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish

  8. #8
    Noel