Table to pick out most common entries and count occurences of each

  1. #1
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Table to pick out most common entries and count occurences of each

    You could do what you want with a pivot table - which gives you the
    opportunity to limit the presentation to the top n of whatever you are
    summarizing.

    Select a cell anywhere in your data, go to the Data menu and choose Pivot
    table..., make sure Excel has selected the correct range, and click on
    Finish. You can then drag fields from the pop-up box to the pivot table and
    adjust settings. Experiment a little and you should get what you want

  2. #2
    Neil Goldwasser
    Guest

    RE: Table to pick out most common entries and count occurences of

    Thanks for your help!
    Unfortunately I have never used PivotTables. I just had a quick look, but
    I'm baffled.
    I guess I'll need to consult an guidebook!
    Thanks, Neil Goldwasser

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Table to pick out most common entries and count occurences of

    Hi Neil
    It is definitely worth learning about Pivot Tables and here is a great place
    to start
    and also look at Debra's site

    Regards

    Roger Govier

    "Neil Goldwasser" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Table to pick out most common entries and count occurences ofeach

    What follows takes up your "Ideally, it would be great to be also able
    to pick out the ten most popular courses across all departments, and put
    this in another table." The pivot table approach, as suggested, will
    also produce the results the formula approach below generates.

    Let A3:A15 house the following course sample:

    {"Course";"Math";"AI";"Math";"Math";"Lisp";"Lisp";"AI";"DB";"DB";#N/A;"Lisp";"Lisp"}

    where A3 is a header, while A4, A5, and so on are courses students have
    taken.

    The problem: What are the Top N courses students take most often?

    A1: N

    which is a label.

    B1: 3

    which is N of Top N (Replace this with 10 in your own sheet.).

    A2: Ties of the Nth

    which is a label.

    B2:

    =MAX(IF(INDEX(B4:B15,MATCH(B1,C4:C15,0))=B4:B15,C4:C15))-B1

    which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.

    B3: Count

    which is a label.

    B4, copied down:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A4,$A$3:A3,0)),"",COUNTIF($A$4:$A$15,A4))

    C3: Rank

    which is a label.

    C4, copied down:

    =IF(N(B4),RANK(B4,$B$4:$B$15)+COUNTIF($B$4:B4,B4)-1,"")

    D3: Most Freq

    which is just a label.

    D4, copied down:

    =IF(ROW()-ROW($D$4)+1<=$B$1+$B$2,INDEX($A$4:$A$15,MATCH(ROW()-ROW($D$4)+1,$C$4:$C$15,0)),"")

    The result that you get in column D is a list, consisting one or more
    courses...

    {"Most Freq";"Lisp";"Math";"AI";"DB"}

  5. #5
    Duke Carey