How do I count the number of alpha occurences in a range?

  1. #1
    CRM
    Guest

    How do I count the number of alpha occurences in a range?

    I have a list containing the 3 and 4 letter stock symbols of "buy"
    recommendations from four different brokers. I want to count the number of
    times the same stock symbols occur within this list.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I count the number of alpha occurences in a range?

    Try this:

    =COUNTIF(A1:D50,H1)

    Where you enter the stock symbol of interest into H1.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the number of alpha occurences in a range?

    Try the Countif function

    if the ones of interest are in Column A and the recommendations are in
    columns C-F
    Will give you the number of times the initials in Column A is recommended.
    =countif(C:F,A1)
    copy down as far as you need.