problem lookup function

  1. #1
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: problem lookup function

    Change your text extraction formula!
    You're not removing the *space* after the name.

    Try either of these:

    =LEFT(DU!D26,LEN(DU!D26)-5)

    =LEFT(DU!D26,FIND(" ",DU!D26)-1)
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "bill gras" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    I have 250 names of towns in work sheet " DU " starting at cell D26 down to
    D250.
    those names are like this : Dubbo (g7)
    Darwin (a2)
    Sydney (k5) and so on .
    In work sheet " Towns " column " B " I have the same names without the last
    4 caracters, (g7) , (a2) , (k5) like this Dubbo
    Darwin
    Sydney
    In column " C " opposite the towns names I have a distance number 505

    In column cell " A45 " I have the formula
    =LEFT(DU!D26,LEN(DU!D26)-RIGHT(4))
    which gives me the name of the town wihout the last 4 caracters Dubbo

    Darwin

    Sydney
    In column ' L " I have a lookup function: =VLOOKUP(A45,B2:C250,2,FALSE)
    which should give me :- 505 , but it returns #N/A

    Can any one help me please

    thank you for your time
    regards B Gras

  2. #2