Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

  1. #1
    AggieBouse06
    Guest

    Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

    Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional). It could be
    very helpful to be able to keep multiple units information organized in a
    single "spatial" orientation.

    This idea is not new, but may be tricky to implement on a Visual Basic
    backbone. Learning PHP has ruined me as to the ease of array manipulation,
    and I now find Excel very limiting in its capabilities.

    The Human mind thinks in 3-D, it's about time our computers did, too.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...heet.functions

  2. #2
    arno
    Guest

    Re: Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

    > Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional).

    how would you print a report on a 3d-sheet?

    arno

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

    <The Human mind thinks in 3-D>

    That depends entirely on the subject. Talking about time lines, many people
    think 1-D. When calculating, many people use the metaphor of accountants
    spreadsheet paper. Hard to find a better example of 2-D.

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    AggieBouse06
    Guest

    Re: Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

    Format-Cells could be altered to include display preferences, and printing
    would be by display. Only drawback there is needing to see more than one
    peice of data from a cell in a printout. Since you cant do that already, i
    don't see a problem.

  5. #5
    AggieBouse06
    Guest

    Re: Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

    A single timeline, yes. What if you needed to compare more than one timeline
    against each other? (I know outlook does that). You would need another
    dimension to stack the rest of the data.

    For basic calculations, 2-D is fine, but as you increase the complexity of
    the computations (and your boss still insists on using Excel), additional
    sheets are needed, and programming the formulae becomes increasingly wasteful.

    The primary question was why hasnt the capacity for this kind off linking
    been introduced yet? Not everyone would use it, but heck, not everyone uses
    multiple sheets in a file as it is. The flexibility is what I'm after. All
    I ask is that the program have an option for increased complexity: not a
    requirement, but an option.

  6. #6
    arno
    Guest