I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

  1. #1
    edrobbie
    Guest

    RE: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    I totally agree!!! This problem has been extant for years and Microsoft
    cannot be ignorant of it. I, too , have tried every which way to display
    negatives numbers in red and in brackets. It's a snap in Quattro Pro and in
    Lotus. For crying out loud, MS, FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!

  3. #3
    Frustrated of Great Yarmouth
    Guest

    Re: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    The only options offered are minus signs and minus signs in red. No brackets
    with numbers are offered

  4. #4
    Jeff Beecham

  5. #5
    Jeff Beecham
    Guest

    RE: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    Sorry about the mix up with my previous posting.

    To put negative amounts in brackets do the following:

    Hightlight the cell your working in.
    Format
    Cells
    Custom
    Type the following in the space at the top: 0.00_);(0.00)

    You will now be able to show negative amounts in brackets in that cell only.

    Regards

    Jeff Beecham Colchester

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    or if you want red and you want thousands separated by a comma
    #,##0.00_);[Red](#,##0.00)
    #,###.00_);[Red](#,###.00)

    What version of Excel and in what language are you using?
    You might want to feed a search into Google like since I don't
    remember where the problem was I'll leave the exact search to you
    excel 2000 accounting format* parenthes* French
    There might be a setting you can use that solves the problem.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#comma
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7