Exporting from Access

  1. #1
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Exporting from Access

    Now let me get this straight. You want to replace the information daily with
    new information <<export and replace the old info with the new>> BUT you want
    to keep the links to the old data that you replaced <keep the links I have
    created when I exported the first one>???
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

  2. #2
    tamxwell
    Guest

    RE: Exporting from Access

    Gary,
    Thanks for responding. I knew that I would have to explain this in more
    detail, but when I wrote it out it seemed to make sense. There are 36 Credit
    Managers that collect from their clients, and in the database the fields are
    Current, 1-30, 30-60, 60-90, 90-180, and 360 past due. My database has some
    very comlex queries that totals the figures for all of their companies, then
    the CM’s can export the data to Excel. This allows each of them to pull just
    the info they need and total it.

    My Boss, their boss has a spreadsheet called “Summary” it has the main
    summary sheet and all the 36 CM in separate worksheets. I have all 36
    worksheets linked to the main Summary page, When the numbers are plugged in
    to each of the individual CM worksheets it updates the Summary page. Right
    now he has to plug in these numbers manually. When I finished the database
    and exported CM01 (for example) data to the desktop, I linked this
    spreadsheet to CM01 worksheet, which in turn updated the main Summary page.
    The problem is that the amount of data changes daily. The first one I
    exported for example had 1200 rows of data (already totaled) these are the
    links I setup to the Summary spreadsheet. The next day the amount of data
    (row) was only 1000. So it’s the link I want to keep, not the data. The
    amount can range from day to day, anywhere from 1000 rows (customers) to 2000
    as we collect from them. I do SQL programming, and I have work with Excel on
    projects that it was easier to do some of the work in Excel, being that the
    database was built solely for the CM’s. This was just an idea he came up with
    after the DB was finished, so had I been told this I could of included it,
    but now it would be like starting over. I just thought someone might have an
    idea

  3. #3
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Exporting from Access

    Hi Tamxwell.
    Still not 100% sure of what you're looking for but here are a couple of
    ideas depending on exactly what you're doing.

    1) If you are looking for a way to give your boss a summary worksheet of
    the Credit Managers and your boss doesn't need to make changes to the
    worksheet, why not create a crosstab by Credit Manager and
    'DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet TransferType:=acExport' that as the Summary
    worksheet?

    2) If you are looking for a way to give your boss a summary worksheet of
    the Credit Managers and your boss does need to make changes to the worksheet,
    why not use the Sum function in the Summary worksheet?
    For example: Assuming the headings in the Summary are Cell A1 'Credit
    Manager Name', Cell B1 '0-30 days', Cell C1 '31-60 days', etc.
    Cell A2 = "Credit Manager 1"
    Cell B2 =SUM(CM01!B:B)
    Cell C2 =SUM(CM01!C:C)

    HTH,