SUM of Hex?

  1. #1
    GeeB
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    Sure, here's the basic column:

    A1: 0x20
    A2: 0x1
    A3: 0x80

    A5: =hex2dec(MID,A1,3,255))

    After entering the formula, the #NAME? appears in A5

    I've also tried removing the '0x' portion of the #'s with the same result.

    I'm running Excel 2003

    Thanks for your assistance.

  2. #2
    GeeB
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    Actually, the dll did not help me as it acts more like a standalone
    pre-defined scientific calculator and that's not what I needed. Additionally,
    due to the simplicity needed and that my spreadsheet will distributed to
    others (including internally to MS), the dll does nothing for me as I'm not
    going to distribute it or provide a link to an additional dll that's not part
    of Excel.

    I don't think 'explaining' the scenario is 'crap'. I did say thanks to all
    (which means u too). You apparently don't work much in 'customer service
    oriented' support (or simply a myopic picture of it)...details help, not hurt
    those who are trying to assist.

  3. #3
    Eric
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    moi wrote:

    > Please keep in mind that you're talking about a Microsoft-Environment.
    > I gave you a .dll that works fine, simply because I know what you're
    > dealing with.
    >
    > Instead of the crap below, just say: 'Thank you'.

    I would think most people would be very leery of accepting a dll
    from an individual on a newsgroup. Whats to say it doesnt contain
    a trojan or some such thing? You'd be better off to just post the
    source code to it and let anyone who wants it to compile it themselves.
    There was a time you could hand out executeables and such and people would
    gladly accept them, but in todays world, 99% of the time its going to be
    something evil. Dont take me wrong, I'm not saying your doing anything
    untoward and in fact I think its pretty slick you came up with a dll to
    solve this so fast. I tend to solve things in the same kind of way, I've
    got a slug of C/C++ stuff i wrote to solve various problems I had
    (utilites, cgi etc).
    Eric

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:20:02 -0700, "GeeB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >So, I copied the Excel file over to my personal workstation where I'm
    >monitoring this post (hence, why I didn't copy/paste previously) and
    >everything works fine.
    >
    >Oh well, since it is not an issue on my personal box where it works fine,
    >I'll just punt and not bother with it any more onthe test box. It was only
    >installed on the test box for the convenience factor to be able to document
    >while working.

    Well, clearly there is something odd about the environment where it did not
    work properly. But I'm afraid troubleshooting that is beyond me.

    So I'm glad you've got it working on a more normal setup :-)

    --ron

  5. #5
    moi
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    Please keep in mind that you're talking about a Microsoft-Environment.
    I gave you a .dll that works fine, simply because I know what you're dealing
    with.

    Instead of the crap below, just say: 'Thank you'.

    "GeeB" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    GeeB
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    Yea, I already had seen the KB and several others to no avail on a resolution.

    The fx button doesn't show the function. Adding the APw/VBA pak doesn't help
    either.

    I finally installed Excel 2003 SP1 and that made it worse. I now get 'This
    file is not in a recognizable format' message upon opening ANY Excel
    worksheet.

    Really bizarre behavior.

    This is occurring on a test box (WS03 w/SP1 as a DC) that I'm writing
    documentation for the undocumented switches of the subinacl utility using a

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:28:01 -0700, "GeeB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I made a typo in my previous post...
    >
    >This:
    >> A5: =hex2dec(MID,A1,3,255))

    >Is actually this in my spreadsheet:
    >> A5: =hex2dec(MID(A1,3,255))

    >Again, just a typo in the post. I used the correct formula in Excel and get
    >the error as noted.

    Well, that's why I suggested copy/paste rather than typing it in :-))

    In any event, there is an MSKB article that may relate to your problem,
    assuming your formulas are accurate. See

    I would also suggest to install both the Analysis Tool Pak and the Analysis
    Tool Pak-VBA.

    Finally, see if HEX2DEC shows up in the function list, when you hit the Fx
    button next to the formula bar.

    --ron

  8. #8
    GeeB
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

  9. #9
    moi
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    Thanks, that was quite stupid.
    The link will work now.

  10. #10
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

  11. #11
    GeeB
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

  12. #12
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    You may need a helper column where you convert from HEX to DEC (using
    function HEXTODEC) and then sum that column. Convert back to HEX using
    DECTOHEX function.

  13. #13
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SUM of Hex?

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:34:01 -0700, "GeeB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >OK...this is probably a very simple answer, but I can't seem to find it...
    >
    >I have a column of hexidecimal numbers (0x20, 0x40, etc.) that I want to
    >simply present the SUM of that colum in Hex. I've been unable to get the SUM
    >function to do this. What am I missing?

    SUM adds numbers. HEX representations are strings so cannot be added by the
    SUM worksheet function.

    You could either write a custom VBA user defined function or use a helper
    column:

    With your data in A1:A5, in the above format, enter a formula

    =hex2dec(MID(A1,3,255))

    in B1 and drag down to B5.

    In some cell, but the formula:

    =DEC2HEX(SUM(B1:B5))