SUMPRODUCT: How to get number of rows which match criteria

  1. #1
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    SUMPRODUCT: How to get number of rows which match criteria

    One way would be
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Closed"),(B2:B100="Settings"))
    Change ranges to suit

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier
    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    re: SUMPRODUCT: How to get number of rows which match criteria

    Hi Bob & Aladin

    Thank you for the references. They were both very useful and all is now
    clear.

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    re: SUMPRODUCT: How to get number of rows which match criteria

    Might be of interest:

    http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=73205

    Roger Govier wrote:
    > Hi Bob
    >
    > Thanks for that.
    > However, I am confused (nothing new there!!).
    > Normally I use the "*" in the SUMPRODUCT formula and would normally have
    > submitted
    > =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Closed")*(B2:B100="Settings"))
    > which works fine.
    >
    > However, following a post from J.E. the other day where he suggested the use
    > of the "," as a separator was marginally more efficient, I substituted it in
    > this formula (without testing) and you quite rightly pointed out it doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Perhaps I need more explanation on the difference between the two methods.

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips

  5. #5