Adding numbers to a running total

  1. #1

    Re: Adding numbers to a running total

    Elizabeth Free wrote:
    > I am trying to track the number of notecards that I am selling each month.
    > I set up a column that says sold, but I don't want to have to do the
    > calculations each time I sell one. I would like to enter 5 notecards sold
    > (let's say) and have that be added to the total sold list. The next day I
    > would delete 5 and enter 1o total sold and have that added to my total sold
    > list. how do I do this?!!

    There are usually many ways to solve a problem, depending on
    the details of the design of your spreadsheet which we are
    not privy to.

    Suppose the "sold" data is in column A, and that is all that
    is in that column other than titles, perhaps. You could put
    =SUM(A:A) in a cell in another column, e.g. B1.

    Alternatively, suppose you have data in A2:A9. If you keep
    A1 and A10 blank (or text), you could put =SUM(A1:A10) into
    A11. When you enter data for the next month, do Insert Row
    above A10. The =SUM() range will be adjusted automatically.
    This fits with a common bookkeeping format, namely:

    A B
    1 Month Sold
    2 Jan 5
    3 Feb 10