How do I sort (or group?) a spreadsheet by similar rows?

  1. #1
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort (or group?) a spreadsheet by similar rows?

    You could add a row above the table, and insert numbers to score the
    columns. For example:

    In cell B1, type the number 1.
    In cell C1, type the formula: =B1*2
    Copy the formula across to column P
    In cell Q1, type the heading, Total
    In cell Q2, type the formula: =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:P2="x"),--($B$1:$P$1))
    Copy this formula down to the last row of data
    Sort the table by the Total column, to see similar rows together.

    You can hide the row of numbers.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  2. #2
    steve
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort (or group?) a spreadsheet by similar rows?

    Debra,

    Your solution worked beautifully. Thank you!

    I understand the notion of scoring the columns. Now I just need to
    spend some time learning about the SUMPRODUCT function so that I
    thoroughly understand how your method works!

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort (or group?) a spreadsheet by similar rows?

    You're welcome! J.E. McGimpsey has some information on SUMPRODUCT:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish

  7. #7