formulas won't maintain during sort -help please!

  1. #1
    bj
    Guest

    RE: formulas won't maintain during sort -help please!

    I do not understand what you need, but check out the indirect() function in
    Help.

    =indirect("AA31") will always refer to AA31, no matter what you do to the
    spreadsheet.

  2. #2
    MarcoPolo
    Guest

    RE: formulas won't maintain during sort -help please!

    Well, lets see. The rows 5 - 269 are for the bill of materials with a toiatal
    in column X. Rows 274 through 426 have another bill of materials that affect
    the totals in the first 265 rows. When I sort the second set, the totals in
    the first set are affected. I can't live with this, checking each total
    everytime I do any manipulations. I do have a common column, so whenI need to
    find data I can do a cntl-F and get to my data quickly. Thanks for your help!
    John

  3. #3
    MarcoPolo
    Guest

    RE: formulas won't maintain during sort -help please!

    When I change the formula to read as you specifiied, I lose all data. I have
    a #VALUE error on all cells. Is there no way to kepp the cell referece data,
    inside a formula, maintain that cell data integrity. The formula
    =sum($a$5+$b$5+$c$5)*$w$1 does not allow me to sort the data by any particlar
    column. The data that is in each of the specified cells, does not follow with
    the sort procedure. Is there a solution to this problem? I tried removing the
    absolute cell refences, but that didn't work either.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    John

  5. #5
    bj