Using Curve-fit for time-phased budget app in Excel

  1. #1
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Using Curve-fit for time-phased budget app in Excel

    James -

    Regarding "the solver in Excel and the curve-fit function," once you have
    specified a functional form for the curve (linear, polynomial, etc.), you
    could set up a worksheet that (a) has tentative values for the function
    parameters (e.g., slope, intercept) in cells, (b) uses references to those
    cells for the function to compute fitted values for each data point, (c)
    computes deviations (actual - fitted), and (d) summarizes the fit with sum
    of squared deviations.

    Then, in Solver, the target cell to be minimized is the cell containing the
    sum of squared deviations, and the changing cells are the cells containing
    the tentative parameters. This approach can be used to fit any functional
    form to actual data.

    Alternatively, Excel's Chart Trendline feature can be used to fit standard
    functions like linear, polynomial, exponential, and power. Tushar Mehta has
    a tutorial at
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...efficients.htm

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Using Curve-fit for time-phased budget app in Excel

    James -

    If it's not linear, i.e., "spread budgeted amounts evenly among certain
    ranges of periods," then you need more information about how it should be
    "spread," i.e, the functional form.

  3. #3
    James Nasty
    Guest

    Re: Using Curve-fit for time-phased budget app in Excel

    A few more terms i have encountered on my journey to a solution are
    Ogive functions, gaussian distribution, cumulative distribution
    function. any help and enlightenment is appreciated.

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Using Curve-fit for time-phased budget app in Excel

    James Nasty -

    > A few more terms i have encountered on my journey to a solution are Ogive
    > functions, gaussian distribution, cumulative distribution function. any
    > help and enlightenment is appreciated. <

    "Gaussian distribution" is another name for the normal distribution
    (bell-shaped density function).

    "Cumulative distribution function" accumulates frequency, probability, or
    density corresponding to values of a frequency distribution, probability
    mass function, or probability density function.

    "Ogive" refers to the shape of a cumulative distribution. For example, the
    ogive is an S-shaped cumulative distribution for the bell-shaped normal
    density function.

    For more information and alternative definitions, refer to any basic
    statistics book or type the phrase into www.google.com.

    - Mike Middleton

  6. #6
    Mike Middleton