Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

  1. #1
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

    Hello -
    CELL("filename") will output the full path of the sheet and tab you are in
    and:

    =RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-SEARCH("]",CELL("filename")))

    Will take just the tab name.

    Hope that helps

    --
    David Billigmeier

  2. #2
    SWalton
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

    David, thanks so much for helping but I don't understand your answer
    (probably because I am not an advanced user). Some more details or
    explanation will help. thanks again!

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

    Just copy and paste the following code (verbatim) into any cell on your
    worksheet:

    =RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-SEARCH("]",CELL("filename")))

    It will copy a text string corresponding to the tab name of the tab you are
    working in. Note, however, that the spreadsheet you are working in has to be
    saved or else it will output #VALUE!

    Better?

    --
    David Billigmeier

  4. #4
    SWalton
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

    Dude, you are my hero! That is just the absolute coolest thing! The
    problem, as your surmised, is that the document was not saved. I have a
    deep-rooted desire to understand how this works so that in the future, my
    increased understanding will allow me to understand my own questions. I am
    studying the help descriptions which become available while clicking on the
    different parts of the formula in the formula bar and it provides a great
    deal of info but I don't understand how it knows to refer to the sheet tab as
    it's source? If you have time and are so inclined, could you explain? And,
    how do you know all of this anyway? are you a programmer?

    thanks again for your help!

  5. #5
    SWalton
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Sheet name from tab automically into a cell

    No need to explain how it worked, I figured it out. I still wanna know how
    you knew that though! Thanks!

  6. #6
    SWalton
    Guest