Delete text while numbers remain intact

  1. #1
    Sugar_grrl
    Guest

    Delete text while numbers remain intact

    I need to find a quick way to delete or move all letter data from a range of
    cells while leaving the number data intact. I need to be able to sort my
    spreadsheet by the numbers in each cell, not by the letters. I could go
    through each cell and delete the letters manually, but I'm working with
    almost 2000 cells and that would be a complete waste of time. The cells I'm
    working with look like this "ABC 123" and I need them to look like this "123"
    or this "123 ABC".
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Delete text while numbers remain intact

    One workaround:

    In an adjacent column, enter

    =--MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)

    and copy down as far as necessary, to get just the numeric values. Sort
    on that column.

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Delete text while numbers remain intact

    If there is a space in each entry, use Data->Text to
    Columns->Delimited->Space to parse the entries into 2 columns - one numeric
    and one alpha