How to make an exponential series?

  1. #1
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: How to make an exponential series?

    >>a2=a2-(49*150*1.05^1)<<

    I'm assuming this is a typo and that cell A2 contains:

    =A1-(49*150*1.05^1)

    Change this to:

    =A1-(49*150*1.05^(ROW()-1))

    and drag down.

    --

    Vasant

    I assume that the refernce in cell A2 is to A1 and not to A2.
    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: How to make an exponential series?

    > ... Drag down until
    > 300,000 equals zero (or near zero).

    Hi. not sure if this would be helpful, but the number of periods to get to
    zero could be given as an equation. For this, there is no integer solution.

    s=300000 'starting amount
    b=49*150
    r=.05

    ?Log(1+(r*s)/b)/Log(r+1)
    22.7940616057939

    If you wanted, you could put this in A1, and copy down. However, the
    equation doesn't look similar to the original.
    =447000 - 147000*1.05^ROW()

    This comes from the equation for the value at any given period. Period 22
    would be:
    n=22
    ?(b - b*(1 + r)^n + r*s)/r
    16986.6741715063