Cell Refences

  1. #1
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Cell Refences

    Hi Joe,
    Look up Absolute and Relative references in HELP.

    With the short example you gave this may be what you want, it will
    fill across as you asked for, but you example does not show copying downward.

    Use of Fill Handle
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
    ---
    HTH,

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Cell Refences

    Lookup absolute and relative cell references in the Help files.

    Also check out these links:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

    HTH,

    RD

  3. #3
    Joe
    Guest

    RE: Cell Refences

    Thank you your answers were exactly what i needed.

  4. #4
    jrosenb2
    Guest

    RE: Cell Refences

    Hi Joe-

    I think that you have been directed correctly, and your final response
    indicates that you have solved your problem, but I thought that maybe this
    could clarify for you or anyone else who might be looking through here:

    In order make a reference absolute, put a $ in front of the reference.
    For example:

    You want your reference in G5 copied to cell H5. You want the "C15" to
    remain constant in both cells, in other words, you want to make C15 an
    absolute reference. You must do this in two parts: 1) Make the column
    reference absolute and 2) make the row reference absolute.

    To make the column reference absolute, insert $ before the C, so that you
    have displayed =$C15. To then make the row reference absolute, insert a $
    before the 15, so that you have displayed =$C$15. You can mix and match
    absolute and relative columns and rows, so that it is conceivable to have the
    reference "=C$15" or "=$C15." But remember, unless the dollar sign is in
    front of the portion of the cell address that you want to remain absolute,
    Excel will automatically add/substract the distance of the copied cell to the
    orginal cell to the relative cell reference, so that one row down, =$C15 will
    be =$C16 or =C15 will be C16. I hope this makes sense for anyone else
    looking for help in here.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie

  6. #6