difficult calculation

  1. #1
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: difficult calculation

    Not sure why you need another column, but you could use

    =IF(A1="y",1,0)

    or the equivalent

    =--(A1="y")

    (where -- is two minuses together)

    To count the number of y's:

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"y")

    If you're trying to count both y's and n's in the same column, use

    =IF(OR(A1="y",A1="n"),1,0)

    or

    =IF(A1<>"",1,0)

    or their equivalent

    =(A1="y")+(A1="n") and =--(A1<>"")

    To count y's and n's in the same column.

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"y")+COUNTIF(A:A,"n")

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: difficult calculation

    Assuming the question to be in column A and the response in column B then in
    C1
    =IF(B1="",0,1)
    Copy the formula down the cange of column C to match your range of data.
    Sum the range of column C,
    =SUM(C1:C100) for example

    --
    Regards