Find last nonblank in a column

  1. #1
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Find last nonblank in a column

    See my contrib in:

    http://tinyurl.com/7ysq5

  2. #2
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Find last nonblank in a column

    "Aladin Akyurek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > LOOKUP() effects a binary search (see:
    > http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/binarySearch.html), thus very fast.

    Thank you Aladin.

    I don't profess to understand all the information in link that you posted
    but I took from it that in the worst case scenario it would only take 17
    comparisons to produce a result for 65536 rows which, as you said, is very
    fast

    --
    Regards

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek

    Sandy Mann wrote:
    > Aladin,
    >
    > I accept that your use of LOOKUP is more efficient than mine, (well my
    > plagiarised version really, probably the only original thought I have had
    > was, "I wonder if there is anything on the net about Excel?"), for one thing
    > 'mine' used two function calls. So that I can expand my understanding of
    > how XL works, do you know if LOOKUP checks all 65,536 rows or just the used
    > range? If it does check all rows, is it still faster than a limited range -
    > say 1,000 rows. I other words is it 65 times faster?

    LOOKUP() effects a binary search (see:
    http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/binarySearch.html), thus very fast.

    In

    =LOOKUP(2,1/ISNUMBER(L1:L1000),L1:L1000)

    it's not LOOKUP itself that requires time. Rather:

    (a) the evaluation of ISNUMBER(L1:L1000), and

    (b) 1/Expression

    Hence, the formula

    =LOOKUP(2,1/ISNUMBER(L1:L1000),L1:L1000)

    is significantly less efficient compared to

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,L:L)

    When the interest is in retrieving the last numeric value, one would
    should invoke the latter, not the former.

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann

  5. #5
    Aladin Akyurek

  6. #6
    Sandy Mann

  7. #7
    Sandy Mann

  8. #8
    Aladin Akyurek

  9. #9
    Aladin Akyurek

  10. #10
    Sandy Mann

  11. #11
    Aladin Akyurek

  12. #12
    Sandy Mann

  13. #13
    Sandy Mann

  14. #14
    Aladin Akyurek

  15. #15
    Sandy Mann

  16. #16
    Aladin Akyurek

  17. #17
    Aladin Akyurek

  18. #18
    Sandy Mann

  19. #19
    Aladin Akyurek

  20. #20
    Sandy Mann

  21. #21
    George W. Barrowcliff

  22. #22
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Find last nonblank in a column

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)

    which will return the last numeric value from column A if any.

  23. #23
    Aladin Akyurek

  24. #24
    Sandy Mann

  25. #25
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Find last nonblank in a column

    Try this:

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(F1:F1000)),F1:F1000)
    --

    HTH,

    RD