separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

  1. #1
    PH
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    Harlan,

    Your A2 forumula works great, but the A3 formula only ever reponds
    "none," and not the letter.

    PH

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    PH wrote...
    >Using Excel 2000, I have a cell "A1" with the value "18E" in it. In
    >cell "A2" I need to report *only* the number value in cell "A1", and in
    >cell "A3" I need *only* the letter found in cell "A1."
    >
    >The problem: the contents of "A1" could be any value from 0 to 100 and
    >there *may or may not* be any letter at all in the cell. I need the
    >number reported regardless of what it is, and I need the letter to be
    >reported, but if it's not present I need it to report something like
    >"none."

    Simple enough to do with formulas alone. If your column A values would
    never exceed 4 characters in length (up to 3 decimal numerals and one
    letter), use the following to parse the numerals.

    A2:
    =LOOKUP(1000,-MID(A1,1,{1;2;3}),MID(A1,1,{1;2;3}))

    A3:
    =IF(LEN(A1)<LEN(A2),RIGHT(A1,1),"none")

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    PH wrote...
    >Your A2 forumula works great, but the A3 formula only ever reponds
    >"none," and not the letter.

    That's because I screwed up my A3 formula. It should be

    =IF(LEN(A1)>LEN(A2),RIGHT(A1,1),"none")

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 03:02:03 -0500, Krishnakumar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Assuming there can only be a maximum of one letter, and it will be at
    >the end,
    >
    >Another option..
    >
    >For Letter,
    >
    >In B1
    >
    >=REPLACE(A1,1,LEN(A1)-1,"")
    >
    >For Number,
    >
    >=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")
    >
    >HTH

    Doesn't work if there is no letter.

    --ron

  5. #5
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    Why can't you use macros?

    First, let me ask you... if there is a letter in the value, will it always
    be last in the string? Also, will there always be just one letter or can
    there be multiple?
    Dave

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 30 Aug 2005 09:57:57 -0700, "PH" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know the subject line is a bit vague, let me explain.
    >
    >Using Excel 2000, I have a cell "A1" with the value "18E" in it. In
    >cell "A2" I need to report *only* the number value in cell "A1", and in
    >cell "A3" I need *only* the letter found in cell "A1."
    >
    >The problem: the contents of "A1" could be any value from 0 to 100 and
    >there *may or may not* be any letter at all in the cell. I need the
    >number reported regardless of what it is, and I need the letter to be
    >reported, but if it's not present I need it to report something like
    >"none."
    >
    >Caveat: I can't use any macros at all in this worksheet, so no macro
    >answers can be used.
    >
    >Any non-macro assistance you can give me is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >PH

    Assuming there can only be a maximum of one letter, and it will be at the end,
    then this might work:

    For the number:

    =IF(ISERROR(-RIGHT(A1,1)),LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1)

    For the letter:

    =IF(ISERROR(-RIGHT(A1,1)),RIGHT(A1,1),"none")

    Note that the "number" formula returns the number as TEXT. If you need it
    returned as a NUMBER, then:

  7. #7
    PH
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    That's it! you guys are freaking awesome.

    Thanks!

    PH

  8. #8
    PH
    Guest

    Re: separating numbers and letters from alphanumeric cell contents

    Dave,

    The letter will *always* be last in the series. There will be only one
    letter.

    PH

  9. #9
    Ron Rosenfeld