Help with nesting functions in Excel

  1. #1
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    Hi!

    How is your data setup?

    > I list them as Test 1, Test 2, and Test 3 with their names down the side.

    That's not a very good description! Be VERY specific!

    How do you denote whether someone passed (or failed) a test? P? F?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    See the answer to your post in the newusers group.

    Multi-posting is frowned upon in these groups.
    All the groups are followed and read by the same people.

    This eliminates the possibility of people wasting their time answering a
    question that might already have been answered in another group.

    RD

  3. #3
    Chrissi
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    Hi Biff, sorry I am new to this and didnt realise what I should specify. I
    enter the marks beside each child's name out of 100 with a 50 being a pass,
    under 50 being a fail. They have a spelling test each mon, wed and fri. Thank
    you for your interest. Chrissi

  4. #4
    Chrissi
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    I'm sorry about cross-posting, I wasnt sure where to put my problem as I am a
    new user as well. I have been told I neglected to put in what the marks were.
    The kids have a spelling test on mon, wed and fri and I enter them out of
    100, 50 being the pass mark. They must get more than 50 twice each week to
    pass. Thank you your interest I will put this answer in new user as well and
    not cross post again. Sorry. Chrissi

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    See the excellent suggestion Bob has given you in the newusers group that
    complies with your updated criteria.

    And FYI, to correct your terminology, what you did was "multi-post", *not*
    "cross-post".
    Cross-posting is *also* frowned upon, BUT ... is accepted by some, since it
    publishes all answers to *all* the addressed groups, thus eliminating the
    duplication of effort by the responders, since everyone can see *every*
    answering post.in every group, concurrently.

    RD

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    Cross posting isn't an issue, it's multiposting that is. Cross posting
    allows you to reply to a message in one group and the answer will appear in
    the others too.

    As to your question, assuming you have it set up like this:-

    A B C D E
    1 Test1 Test2 Test3 Pass/Fail
    2 Name1 36 45 55
    =IF(COUNTIF(B2:D2,">=50")>=2,"PASS","FAIL")
    3 Name2 66 55 55
    =IF(COUNTIF(B3:D3,">=50")>=2,"PASS","FAIL")
    4 Name3 23 76 65
    =IF(COUNTIF(B4:D4,">=50")>=2,"PASS","FAIL")
    5 Name4 66 45 35
    =IF(COUNTIF(B5:D5,">=50")>=2,"PASS","FAIL")

    Then Col E will give you what you want.

    A better approach might aslo be to use a couple of cells to contain your
    variables of 50 and 2 such that they can be easily changed if you should so
    decide, eg assuming you use cell H1 to contain 50 and H2 to contain 2,
    then:-

    A B C D E
    1 Test1 Test2 Test3 Pass/Fail
    2 Name1 36 45 55
    =IF(COUNTIF(B2:D2,">="&$H$1)>=$H$2,"PASS","FAIL")
    3 Name2 66 55 55
    =IF(COUNTIF(B3:D3,">="&$H$1)>=$H$2,"PASS","FAIL")
    4 Name3 23 76 65
    =IF(COUNTIF(B4:D4,">="&$H$1)>=$H$2,"PASS","FAIL")
    5 Name4 66 45 35
    =IF(COUNTIF(B5:D5,">="&$H$1)>=$H$2,"PASS","FAIL")

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Help with nesting functions in Excel

    LOL - Hopefully you guessed that those formulas were supposed to be in
    column E :-)

    Regards
    Ken...............

  8. #8