Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

  1. #1
    Nicole
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

    Thanks Max. I did this but it returned a reference error in each field. My
    knowledge doesn't really go this far so perhaps I did something wrong.
    --
    Cheers
    Nicole

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

    The accurate name of the procedure is "Group Sheets".

    You can select (group) all the sheets in a WB by clicking on the first tab,
    holding <Shift>, and then clicking in the last tab.
    To group individual sheets, click in your main sheet tab (the one you're
    going to work on), hold <Ctrl>, and then click in all the other sheet tabs
    that you're going to group.

    You'll notice the word "Group" is appended the end of the sheet name in the
    title bar, and all the tabs of the grouped sheets are white, and also, the
    name of the main sheet is in bold.

    NOW, everything you do to your main sheet will be duplicated in all the
    other grouped sheets.

    When you're finished with your revisions, don't forget to "ungroup" the
    sheets, or you could really make a mess of your WB.
    Click in an "ungrouped" sheet tab, or, right click in a tab and choose
    "Ungroup Sheets".
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  3. #3
    Max

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

    I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.

    If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy the
    formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.

    What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    the other cells.

    What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on all
    the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    sheets.

    Is that what you were asking?

    RD

    "Nicole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Ragdyer. This works for inserting rows, now for my next problem.

    Is

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  5. #5
    Nicole

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

    "Nicole" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Thanks Max. I did this but it returned a reference
    > error in each field. My knowledge doesn't really
    > go this far so perhaps I did something wrong.

    Probably the sheetnames didn't match. You need to change the sheetname to
    suit what you actually have over there. The suggested formula presumes the
    source is: Sheet1

    > =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1"),ROWS($A$1:A1)-1,COLUMNS($A$1:A1)-1)

    Try changing the sheetname within the part:
    ... INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1") ...
    in the formula, then try it again

    Delete the "Sheet1", then key in the exact sheetname that you have, with an
    apostrophe before and after the exact sheetname.

    For instance, if your actual sheetname is: Nicole1
    key it in as: 'Nicole1'

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows to linked spreadsheets

    Let's see if I understand.

    We know "linked" and "grouped" *do not* mean the same thing ... correct?

    Input values in Sheet1, A1

    Sheet2, B1 contains a formula, referencing Sheet1, A1 value.
    i.e. ... =Sheet1!A1*100

    You now "group" Sheet1 and Sheet2 (or however many you're talking about).
    You insert 4 new rows under Row1.

    *IF* Sheet1, B1 is empty, *OR* contains data that can be copied without any
    ill effects,
    While sheets are *still* grouped, click in Sheet1, B1, and drag down to
    copy.
    This will copy the formula on Sheet2, B1, to the newly inserted rows on
    Sheet2.

    If, on the other hand, Sheet1, B1 contains data that cannot (should not) be
    copied down Sheet1, then you're out of luck trying to complete all these
    revisions in one shot.

    You'll have to "ungroup" the sheets after inserting the rows, and then
    regroup (sheets 2, 3, 4 ... etc.), eliminating Sheet1 from the group, and
    complete the revisions on the other grouped sheets containing the formulas.

    Now, is *THAT* what you were asking?<bg>

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "Nicole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    Sorry - I'll try to explain myself in more detail. I have 2 sheets that are
    linked and need to add and delete rows over time. The first sheet is where
    the data is input and the second sheet has all the formulae. My problem is
    that when I insert a new row in the first sheet (and subsequent sheet when
    grouped), the formulae from the second sheet is not copied down and
    therefore
    the calculations aren't made for new rows.

    I hope this explains my problem a bit better.
    --
    Cheers
    Nicole

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  8. #8
    Nicole

  9. #9
    RagDyeR

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  10. #10
    RagDyer

    -

  11. #11
    Nicole

  12. #12
    Max

  13. #13
    Nicole

  14. #14
    Nicole

  15. #15
    Max

  16. #16
    Ragdyer

  17. #17
    RagDyeR

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  18. #18
    Nicole

  19. #19
    Nicole

  20. #20
    RagDyer

    -

  21. #21
    Max

  22. #22
    Nicole

  23. #23
    Ragdyer

  24. #24
    Max

  25. #25
    Nicole

  26. #26
    Max

  27. #27
    RagDyeR

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  28. #28
    Nicole

  29. #29
    Max

  30. #30
    Nicole

  31. #31
    Ragdyer

  32. #32
    RagDyer

    -

  33. #33
    Max

  34. #34
    Nicole

  35. #35
    RagDyer

    -

  36. #36
    Nicole

  37. #37
    Ragdyer

  38. #38
    Nicole

  39. #39
    Max

  40. #40
    RagDyeR

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  41. #41
    Max

  42. #42
    Ragdyer

  44. #44
    RagDyeR

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > I don't know if I follow exactly what you're asking.
    >
    > If you group your sheets and then say click in A2, and drag down to copy

    the
    > formula in A2 to the next 5 rows that you just inserted, that same formula
    > has to be present in all the grouped sheets *before* you do the copying.
    >
    > What you're doing is copying A2 to A3 thru A7.
    > If A2 is empty on the grouped sheets, you're copying an *empty* cell A2 to
    > the other cells.
    >
    > What you would have to do would be to re-type the formula once, in your
    > "main" sheet, while the sheets were grouped, in order to populate A2 on

    all
    > the grouped sheets, and *then* you could drag down to copy in all the
    > sheets.
    >
    > Is that what you were asking?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,