format:Adding large minute and second values

  1. #1
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    format:Adding large minute and second values

    In Excel, there is no such thing as 'large minute values'. Excel stores dates
    and times only one way: the day is the number of days since 1/1/1900, and the
    time is a fraction of a day. Excel will store your value of 1,125,325 minutes,
    27 seconds as the number 781.476, meaning it's 781.476 days (or 1,125,325m 27s)
    since midnight, 1/1/1900.

    What Excel will do is display an internal date/time cell in many different ways.
    Many of these display formats are provide in the Format Cell dialogue box.
    However, you can also create your own.

    I had no problems getting Excel to display this time as 1125325:27 using the
    format [mm]:ss. I also had no problem adding your two times together and
    displaying the result 3484289:45.

    So it's not the format [mm]:ss which is causing the problem. It must be
    something else.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    re: format:Adding large minute and second values

  3. #3
    Fred Smith

  4. #4
    Fred Smith