Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

  1. #1
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    You have SLOPE, INTERCEPT and LINEST, making an interpolation is rather easy
    from there.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    Which you can do with LINEST etc. or more directly with TREND or
    FORECAST by including just the relevant surrounding points (instead of
    the entire data set) for a given interpolation.

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    Bernard Liengme wrote...
    >You have SLOPE, INTERCEPT and LINEST, making an interpolation is rather easy
    >from there.

    LINEST would be gross overkill. Besides, FORECAST and TREND would be
    far easier than any of these. The problem is that using it to
    interpolate in a table (TBL) for a value (v) involves expressions like

    TREND(OFFSET(TBL,MATCH(v,INDEX(TBL,0,XvalCol)),YvalCol-1,2,1),
    OFFSET(TBL,MATCH(v,INDEX(TBL,0,XvalCol)),XvalCol-1,2,1),v)

    You may like these, but they are a bit long. When they're general like
    this, they eat 3 levels of nested function calls. A simpler approach
    would be handy, but I suspect we won't see it in Excel until a few
    months after Hell organizes an Ice Hockey league.

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis

  6. #6
    Bernard Liengme