concatenating and formatting area code and phone number columns

  1. #1
    sherri
    Guest

    concatenating and formatting area code and phone number columns

    I concatenated two columns (area code, phone number) and formatted them so
    area code looks like (###); however, the 7-digit phone number still appears
    as ####### even though I used custom format ###-#### prior to to
    concatenating the two columns. Is it possible to add a hyphen so the final
    number looks like (###) ###-####?

  2. #2
    .
    Guest

    Re: concatenating and formatting area code and phone number columns

    Sherri wrote:
    > I concatenated two columns (area code, phone number) and formatted them so
    > area code looks like (###); however, the 7-digit phone number still appears
    > as ####### even though I used custom format ###-#### prior to to
    > concatenating the two columns. Is it possible to add a hyphen so the final
    > number looks like (###) ###-####?

    Assuming the area code is in A1 and the phone number is in B1, you can
    try the following formula in C1: ="("&A1&") "&LEFT(B1,3)&"-"&RIGHT(B1,4)

  3. #3
    .

    Sherri wrote:
    > I concatenated two columns (area code, phone number) and formatted them so
    > area code looks like (###); however, the 7-digit phone number still appears
    > as ####### even though I used custom format ###-#### prior to to
    > concatenating the two columns. Is it possible to add a hyphen so the final
    > number looks like (###) ###-####?

    One easy way is something like:
    =TEXT(A1,"(#) ")& TEXT(B1,"###-####")

  4. #4
    sherri
    Guest

    Re: concatenating and formatting area code and phone number column

    Thanks - it worked perfectly.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: concatenating and formatting area code and phone number column

    Try this

    =TEXT(A1,"(000) "&TEXT(B1,"000-0000"))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...