return left most part of cell

  1. #1
    Pat
    Guest

    return left most part of cell

    anyone know if there is a formula that can return the first word of a string

    example: 1

    Abelia grandiflora 'Sherwoodii'

    return - Abelia

    example: 2

    Abies balsamea

    return - Abies

    example: 3

    Abutilon

    return - Abutilon

    what is needed is one formula that will cover all string possibilities

    Thnkyou if you can help.

  2. #2
    David Hepner
    Guest

    RE: return left most part of cell

    Try this:

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)

  3. #3
    Pat
    Guest

    Re: return left most part of cell

    Thanks David, it works for example 1 & 2

    #VALUE! is returned for 3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: return left most part of cell

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:54:29 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks David, it works for example 1 & 2
    >
    >#VALUE! is returned for 3

    Try modifying David's suggestion to:

    =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1)),A1,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1))

    Rgds

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  5. #5
    David Hepner
    Guest

    Re: return left most part of cell

    Sorry, I didn't test all three. This should work.

    =IF(FIND("",A1,1),LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)),LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1))

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:36:37 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >anyone know if there is a formula that can return the first word of a string
    >
    >example: 1
    >
    >Abelia grandiflora 'Sherwoodii'
    >
    >return - Abelia
    >
    >example: 2
    >
    >Abies balsamea
    >
    >return - Abies
    >
    >example: 3
    >
    >Abutilon
    >
    >return - Abutilon
    >

    >what is needed is one formula that will cover all string possibilities
    >
    >Thnkyou if you can help.

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

    (will also work on the last example)

    --ron