removing year from date

  1. #1
    Joe Man
    Guest

    removing year from date

    I have several dates listed as mm/dd/yyyy. How do I remove the year
    automaticall from a long list? I do not mean that I want to format the cell
    to just show me the month and day, I want to actually remove the year data
    from the column not just hide it. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: removing year from date

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:05:06 -0700, "Joe Man"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have several dates listed as mm/dd/yyyy. How do I remove the year
    >automaticall from a long list? I do not mean that I want to format the cell
    >to just show me the month and day, I want to actually remove the year data
    >from the column not just hide it. Thank you.

    If it is going to be a value that Excel recognizes as a date, it must include a
    year.

    Excel stores dates as serial numbers beginning with 1 = 1/1/1900 (or 1904). So
    there is no way to "remove the year" and have Excel still recognize this value
    as a "date".

    If you just want the Month and Day, and don't want a year in the cell, then you
    cannot store it as a serial number and have Excel convert it to a date.

    You could change it to a TEXT string of mm/dd:

    =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd")

    --ron