Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

  1. #1
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    The following are a few of generally accepted values:

    % of Population Number of Standard Deviations away from Mean
    50.0% 0.674
    68.3% 1.000
    90.0% 1.645
    95.0% 1.960
    95.4% 2.000
    99.7% 3.000

    Given the % of Population, is there an Excel formula that can be used
    to determine the number of Standard Deviations away from the Mean?
    Thus, entering 90% in A1, the formula in B1 would result in 1.645 as
    shown above.

    I'd be using this to expand the table above to include additional
    percentages (e.g., 75%, 85%, or whatever number I needed at the time).

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    Paul D. Simon wrote...
    >The following are a few of generally accepted values:
    >
    >% of Population Number of Standard Deviations away from Mean
    > 50.0% 0.674
    > 68.3% 1.000
    > 90.0% 1.645
    > 95.0% 1.960
    > 95.4% 2.000
    > 99.7% 3.000

    This is just one-tailed critical values from the standard normal
    distribution. Use

    =NORMSINV((1+pct)/2)

    Note, however, that prior to Excel 2002 the NORMSINV function did a
    poor job with values in the tail, so as a pratical matter, above 97.5%.

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of p

    If you already have the numbers calculated and listed in each column you can
    use the VLOOKUP() function to pull the standard deviation from the
    corresponding % in that row.

    Dave
    <!--

  4. #4
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    Harlan,

    Thanks very much for responding. Even though I'm using Excel 2000,
    your formula seems to work perfectly, giving me all the known values
    shown in the table above. So, I'm confident that I can use it to fill
    in corresponding values for other percentages as well.

    Thanks again - I appreciate it.

    Paul

  5. #5
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of p

    Bill,

    Thank you for responding, and sorry for the confusion. What I need to
    do is fill in additional values not already included in the table
    above. However, Harlan's response has done the trick for me. Thanks
    again for responding, though - I appreciate it.

    Paul

  6. #6
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    Harlan was a bit conservative, since pre-2002 Excel gives 5-6 figure
    accuracy on this calculation up to 99.99%, but it quickly degenerates
    after that. You can get essentially machine accuracy from the
    inv_normal function in
    http://members.aol.com/iandjmsmith/Examples.xls
    Jerry

  7. #7
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    Thanks very much for your response, Jerry.

    I tried the inv_normal function, but I couldn't figure out how to apply
    it properly.

    For example, the number of Standard Deviations for 68.3% is 1; for 95%,
    it's 1.95996. When applying the inv_normal function to 68.3%, it gave
    me an answer of 0.476104403489395. For 95%, it gave me an answer of
    1.64485362695147. Obviously, I doing something wrong.

  8. #8
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    inv_normal is a more accurate implementation of NORMSINV. Use Harlan's
    formula with either.

    Jerry

  9. #9
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: Formula to determine number of Standard Deviations based on % of population

    Now I see. Works perfectly. Thanks very much, Jerry.