Multiple functions per cell?

  1. #1
    excelnewbie
    Guest

    Multiple functions per cell?

    Hey.
    Is it possible to have more than one function assigned to a single cell?
    I would like to have formulas on 2 different worksheets, both of which will
    produce different results (only one will finally effect the critical cell),
    with the possibility of the results from these different worksheets to show
    in the critical cell.
    One of the results comes from a 'vlookup' function, the other result is a
    simple A*B=C type function. I want the user to have the option of choosing
    how they get their result.
    Make sense??

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Multiple functions per cell?

    You can use the CHOOSE() function to allow the user to select from many
    possible calculations. For example, in cell A1 allow the user to enter an
    integer: 1,2,3

    In cell B1 insert:
    =CHOOSE(A1,C1,D1,E1)

    If the user enter 1 in A1, then B1 will display the C1 calculation.
    If the user enter 2 in A1, then B1 will display the D1 calculation.
    If the user enter 3 in A1, then B1 will display the E1 calculation.

    Put your own cells in place for C1, D1, E1 in the above example.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    excelnewbie
    Guest

    RE: Multiple functions per cell?

    Thanks Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Multiple functions per cell?

    Your Welcome
    --
    Gary''s Student

  5. #5
    excelnewbie
    Guest

    RE: Multiple functions per cell?

    Hi again.
    Does that allow for selections made from drop down lists?
    In order to produce the correct answer, the user selects from 2 adjacent
    drop down lists.
    The options that appear in the 2nd drop down list need to depend on what
    selection is made from the first drop down list. The final result is then
    dependant on the selection made from that drop down list.
    Make sense?
    How do I do that???

  6. #6
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Multiple functions per cell?

    Yes. It makes sense. In my example A1 held the user selection. In your
    application, arrange the drop downs to deposition the final result in your
    user-selection-cell. CHOOSE() doesn't care how the cell gets filled, only
    that it is a simple sequence of digits.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  7. #7