Matching and aligning columns

  1. #1
    amerkarim
    Guest

    Matching and aligning columns

    Hi,

    I would be very grateful for your help with this.

    I have several columns of data that I would like to line up and match.

    All the data is paired, each entry has a number from 1 to 130 and then
    an attached value. The data in the common column is sorted numerically
    and similar for each matched set, but the problem is that the start
    points of each of the columns is not the same.

    Please see the attached example file with some of my data.

    How can I match it up as described and demonstrated in the example.

    In a sense, I want to normalise the data start points, so I can compare
    the columns directly.

    Any ideas please

    Many thanks,

    Amer Karim

    |Filename: example.txt |
    |Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34|

    amerkarim

  2. #2
    Adam Molinaro
    Guest

    RE: Matching and aligning columns

    I hope I understand the layout of your attachment example; it looks as though
    your report is wrapping lines. I have come across this before, so you might
    try the following:

    1. Copy all your columns (I can't tell if there are supposed to be 3 or 5
    or 6 columns, however it doesn't matter). For example, A through F (Grab the
    column headers (e.g., A), as opposed to just the data.
    2. Paste them right next to your last column, for example column G (through
    L or whatever).
    3. Highlight the top row of your pasted columns, most likely your titles.
    4. Delete entire row, so those copied columns all shift up one row.
    Hopefully, now you have all your data for your 'angles' on one line, though
    you have some duplicate information.
    5. Type in your headings across all your columns, such as A through L.
    6. Highlight all your data (grab the column headings again), then sort by
    the 'angle' column (the first one, presumably in column A).
    7. This should group all the data you want together, then group your
    'extra/duplicate rows together, either at the top or bottom of your "real"
    data.
    8. Delete the superfluous rows.

    I hope you can follow this, and that it helps. I hope I understand your
    problem correctly. If not, I apologize.

    Adam.