Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

  1. #1
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Hi All,

    Dynamic Named Range "Results" spans 5 Columns and many Rows (starts at Row 19)
    .. Each cell
    houses Numeric single-digit or double-digit values.

    I require a Formula to calculate the INTERVALS (the number of Rows between
    the LAST instance and the PREVIOUS instance in a column) between each
    individual occurrence of any designated PAIR of Numeric values (single-digit
    / double-digit) in the same Row of the Named Range "Results" and return each
    calculated INTERVAL result to a separate Column on the same Row of a New
    Sheet - starting with the most recent ( the LAST) occurrence.

    For instance, each time 80 and 87 appear together in the same Row, return the
    INTERVAL by calculating the number of Rows between the LAST instance and the
    together and Count back to their PREVIOUS appearance together to get the
    required Count; i.e. count from the Row ABOVE LAST appearance to the Row
    BEFORE PREVIOUS appearance.

    The results are returned to a chart / matrix layout: I have the criterion
    vertically and horizontally and they are referenced using the horizontal and
    vertical cell address that houses each criterion, and the results are
    returned across the Row of the intercept of the vertical and horizontal
    criterion. At some point both criterion values being referenced will be the
    same, can the Formula return empty text "" when this occurs?

    Example Chart / Matrix Layout:
    Cell Ref. A2 and B1 criterion 80 and 80
    Cell Ref. A3 and B1 criterion 81 and 80
    Cell Ref. A4 and B1 criterion 82 and 80

    Criteria B1 houses 80
    A2 houses 80
    A3 houses 81
    A4 houses 82
    A5 houses 83

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Assuming that Sheet1 contains your 'Chart/Matrix Layout', try the
    following...

    1) Select B2 (your first intercept in your 'Chart/Matrix Layout')

    2) Define the following references...

    Insert > Name > Define

    Name: Last

    Refers to:

    =MATCH(2,1/(MMULT(--(Results=Sheet1!$A2),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0))*MM
    ULT(--(Results=Sheet1!B$1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0))))

    Click Add

    Name: Previous

    Refers to:

    =LARGE(IF(MMULT(--(Results=Sheet1!$A2),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0))*MMUL
    T(--(Results=Sheet1!B$1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0)),ROW(Results)-MIN(R
    OW(Results))+1),2)

    Click Ok

    3) Then enter the following formula in B2, copy down and across:

    =IF($A2<>B$1,Last-Previous-1,"")

    Note that you'll get an error value under the following circumstance...

    #N/A - when a pair does not exist

    #NUM! - when a second pair does not exist

    You can always choose to use conditional formatting to hide these
    errors, if you prefer. Post back if you need help.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Hi Domenic,

    Thank you for assistance.

    I'm getting #N/A error in all cells except where both criterion are the same
    numeric value and the Formula returns blank / empty cell as expected. I'm not
    sure why the cells are returning the #N/A error: the criteria pair of values
    will somtimes be consecutive but more often not.

    Can you think of anything that may be causing the errors?

    Cheers
    Sam

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    A couple of questions...

    1) Did you select B2 on your chart/matrix sheet before defining the
    references?

    2) Did you change the reference in both formulas from Sheet1 to the
    actual name of the sheet containing your chart/matrix?

    If these check out, I'd be happy to either look at your file or send you
    a sample file.

  5. #5
    Sam via OfficeKB.com

    Domenic wrote:
    >A couple of questions...
    >
    >1) Did you select B2 on your chart/matrix sheet before defining the
    >references?

    Yes

    >2) Did you change the reference in both formulas from Sheet1 to the
    >actual name of the sheet containing your chart/matrix?

    Yes

    >If these check out, I'd be happy to either look at your file or send you
    >a sample file.

    Would very much appreciate sample file.

    Cheers
    Sam

  6. #6
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    As per your request, I've just emailed you a sample file. Post back if
    you need further help!

    Cheers!

  7. #7
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Hi Domenic,

    Thank you very much for sample file - I must have made an error when
    transferring the Formulas. The #N/A errors are no more: I know get calculated
    Intervals.

    Unfortunately, I did not explain that I was looking for the calculated
    Intervals of the two criterion to be displayed across their own individual
    Row where they intersect - Interval calculated per your Formula but for each
    occurrence of the paired criteria eg: 82 and 80 - Intervals displayed across
    the entire Row where they intersect. I would have numerous criterion
    vertically but only one horizontally. In the example below, your Formula
    would correctly return blank for Intervals relating to criteria 80 80.
    Criteria 81 80 should return various Intervals across that Row and the same
    for the others such as 82 80 and 83 80.

    Example Chart / Matrix Layout:
    Cell Ref. A2 and B1 criterion 80 and 80
    Cell Ref. A3 and B1 criterion 81 and 80
    Cell Ref. A4 and B1 criterion 82 and 80

    Criteria B1 houses 80
    A2 houses 80
    A3 houses 81
    A4 houses 82 16 8 2 12 20 30 3 5 10 11 14
    A5 houses 83

    Cheers
    Sam

  8. #8
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Okay, I think I understand. Let's see if I have this right...

    1) Select B2

    2) Define the following references...

    Insert > Name > Define

    Name: MMULT1

    Refers to:

    =MMULT(--(Results=Sheet1!$A2),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0))

    Click Add

    Name: MMULT2

    Refers to:

    =MMULT(--(Results=Sheet1!$B$1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Results)^0))

    Click Ok

    3) Enter the following formula in B2, copy across and down:

    =IF($A2<>$B$1,LARGE(IF((MMULT1)*(MMULT2),ROW(Results)-MIN(ROW(Results))+1
    ),COLUMNS($B2:B2))-LARGE(IF((MMULT1)*(MMULT2),ROW(Results)-MIN(ROW(Result
    s))+1),COLUMNS($B2:B2)+1)-1,"")

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    4) Use conditional formatting to hide #NUM! error values that will
    result when no other intervals exist. If you need help with this, post
    back.

    Note: In the interest of making the formula for B2 shorter and somewhat
    more efficient, I tried to define references for both LARGE functions.
    I was hoping to be able to do something like this...

    =IF($A2<>$B$1,<FirstLargeReference>-<SecondLargeReference>-1,"")

    But for some reason I get error messages for the second interval and
    onwards. You may want to try this yourself, just in case it has
    something to do with my version of Excel. If you need help with this,
    post back.

  9. #9
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Hi Domenic,

    You understand perfectly. Your Formulas provided a brilliant working solution!

    Thank you ever so much for all your great help.

    Domenic wrote:
    >Note: In the interest of making the formula for B2 shorter and somewhat
    >more efficient, I tried to define references for both LARGE functions.
    >I was hoping to be able to do something like this...
    >
    >=IF($A2<>$B$1,<FirstLargeReference>-<SecondLargeReference>-1,"")
    >
    >But for some reason I get error messages for the second interval and
    >onwards. You may want to try this yourself, just in case it has
    >something to do with my version of Excel.

    I defined both LARGE Function references as suggested using their respective
    LARGE syntax in the Names Refers To Box and used the shorter Defined Names in
    cell B2 - it worked whether they were array entered or not - calculating all
    Intervals correctly.

    >Use conditional formatting to hide #NUM! error values that will
    >result when no other intervals exist. If you need help with this, post
    >back.

    Would appreciate your assistance.

    Cheers
    Sam

  10. #10
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sam via OfficeKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thank you ever so much for all your great help.

    You're very welcome, Sam!

    > defined both LARGE Function references as suggested using their respective
    > LARGE syntax in the Names Refers To Box and used the shorter Defined Names in
    > cell B2 - it worked whether they were array entered or not - calculating all
    > Intervals correctly.

    Great! I had a feeling it would work for you. I don't understand why
    it doesn't work on my Mac version, though. There doesn't seem to be any
    reason why it shouldn't. Oh well...

    By the way, when defining named ranges or references, array formulas
    don't need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    > >Use conditional formatting to hide #NUM! error values that will
    > >result when no other intervals exist. If you need help with this, post
    > >back.

    > Would appreciate your assistance.

    1) Select B2

    2) Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula Is

    3) Enter the following formula:

    =ISERR(B2)

    4) Choose 'White' as your font colour

    5) Click Ok

    Hope this helps!

  11. #11
    Sam S via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Hi Domenic,

    Conditional Formatting help very much appreciated.

    Domenic wrote:
    >By the way, when defining named ranges or references, array formulas
    >don't need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Just to clarify: do you mean the shorter version of the Formula in B2 does
    not have to be array entered?

  12. #12
    Domenic

    In article <54dbeb15e609f@uwe>, "Sam S via OfficeKB.com" <u4102@uwe>
    wrote:

    > Just to clarify: do you mean the shorter version of the Formula in B2 does
    > not have to be array entered?

    No, I meant if you enter an array formula via Insert > Name > Define >
    it doesn't have to be array entered.

    Cheers!

  13. #13
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Count Intervals of 2 Numeric values in same Row and Return Count across Row

    Oh!

    Cheers,
    Sam