Countif, Index, Match... not sure which to use

  1. #1
    Amy via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Countif, Index, Match... not sure which to use

    I need to be able to count how times the word 'CNC' occurs in column B, only
    when the value in column A equals 'Assembly'.

    The text in column A is exact, but the text in column B needs to search for
    'CNC' using wildcards, because there are many words in each cell in column B;
    and sometimes there is nothing in column B. I'm not sure which function to
    use or combination of functions to use for this.

    Here is what some of the data looks like:

    Column A Column B
    Assembly
    Assembly Communication
    Assembly Ergonomics; Safety Ergonomics
    Assembly More safety related training; Safety Ergonomics
    Assembly
    Assembly Better ergonomics; Safety Ergonomics
    Assembly Ergonomics; Safety Ergonomics; computer
    Assembly None
    Assembly None
    Assembly Computer Functioning; Computer Systems; Communication
    Assembly
    Assembly Service school for the repair group
    Assembly
    Assembly
    Assembly
    Assembly
    Null More people skill; giving & receiving feedback; presenting goals ideas,
    etc.
    Null AS400; Computer Systems; safety
    Other Business Process, Manufacturing
    Machining CNC
    Machining
    Machining Basic machining; I need to at least be able to talk the language;
    CNC/Machining/Programming
    GPMG Gear Training
    Reman
    Salaried
    Assembly Computer training to properly perform point duties; Computer Systems
    Other People Skills
    Other Working with Al Salentine; computer
    Machining Quality
    Assembly Quality

    --
    Thank you,
    Amy@H-D

  2. #2
    Amy via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Countif, Index, Match... not sure which to use

    I've tried this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((B2:B412="Assembly")*(C2:C412="cnc"))

    But it doesn't work if there are words before 'cnc' in any of the cells. I'm
    not sure how to use the wildcards for this to work.

    --
    Thank you,
    Amy@H-D

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Countif, Index, Match... not sure which to use

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Use 2 cells to hold the criteria:

    C1 = Assembly
    D1 = CNC

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=C1),--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D1,B1:B100))))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Amy via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Countif, Index, Match... not sure which to use

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    Have a great weekend Biff,
    Amy

    --