repeating functions

  1. #1
    firelake
    Guest

    repeating functions

    So, say A1 is the number of arrests in 1990, A2 is number of arrests in 1991,
    A3 the number of arrests in 1992, etc, all the way to A10. In the adjacent
    column B, I would like to calculate the percentage increase or decrease in
    arrests for each year compared to that of 1990, and not to that of the
    preceding year. So in B5, for example, I would put the formula "=(A5-A1)/A1"
    and etc.

    The Question: How can I put this formula in once and then have it
    automatically calculate the percentage change for the all the other years as
    compared only to 1990?

    I have many, many catagories and many percent changes to compare -- manually
    entering each one is not a very good option...

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: repeating functions

    Use dollar signs, so, for example, put this formula in B2 and drag down:

    =(A2-$A$1)/$A$1

    Dave

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: repeating functions

    =(A5-$A$1)/$A$1

    Using the $ creates an "absolute reference" to the cell. $A means absolute
    to column A, $1 means absolute to row 1. When you copy down, the $A$1 will
    stay "static".
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...